Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Little Problem With The Power... Need Fast Answer!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerTechniwhodawhat???

ComputerTechniwhodawhat???

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:21 PM

Yep. It's being Eevil again. it says: "on AC Power" on the taskbar thingy and i cant make the batteries work! Every time that the charge cord thing is taken out, the thing blacks out and dies. I have found no way to fix this stupid problem. Its probably a common one, but i need help! Please assist quickly, I need it for School tomarrow! sorry i'm not capitalizing or spelling things right for that matter, i'm up "late" considering ii get up at 3:30! (it's 9:30 where i am)

EDIT: I need to go to bed. Hopefully i'll have an answer by morning. And hopefully it doesnt say "EDIT" twice (hey, I'm new to editing)
EDIT AGAIN: Seems i left out what it is that i have done... I've right clicked it and gone through the menu, ive searched throught the help files on my computer, ive sat here staring at the screen for three hours hopeing that if i waited long enough it would work... i've gone to the control panel but when i went to the part it was the same as the right click menu... and i think thats it.

Edited by ComputerTechniwhodawhat???, 02 January 2006 - 09:29 PM.

ComputerTechniWhodaWhat?!? Its a term i use when I'm confused about computers. Seems to fit here... right??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:55 PM

Have you ever removed the battery? It could be (very) dirty battery contacts.

Worst case is the battery is completely dead an can't hold a charge anymore. This would involve getting a new battery. If you have a fairly new laptop, it probably has a Lithium-Ion battery, and these last for a very long time (mine's been going 7+ years), so this choice is unlikely.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas. Hope you get it working.
Lanscader

Edited by Lanscader, 02 January 2006 - 09:56 PM.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#3 ComputerTechniwhodawhat???

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:04 PM

Lets try it right now... Its not even running on the stupid battery, so I'm just going to open this thing up right now... Ohmygosh!! it did something!! For a half second... It had a lightning bolt over the power cord symbol on the taskbar... and now it doesnt...? hmmm.... i think you may be right. I'm going to clean it better (all i did was blow on it) thanks, i think you may have solved my prolem!
now, where's the cleaning stuff.....? oh wait, i forgot something! the battery cant be dead (i think)! It says its there, its at 43%charge (and has been there for 2 days)... and it is a Li-ion battery. ok, i think thats up to date enough...

EDIT: The lightning bolt meant it was charging. Its messed up, so it went away for some odd reason. Now i need help with that too!! this isnt my night.... I think im gonna be up till 3:30...
Once again, EDIT: Seems i've found out why it stopped charging. Because it has issues. it doesnt like my mouse or something, because when i move the mouse, it stops charging. it also stops when i leave it there for more that 5 mins or so.... this is starting to bug me... it has nothing to do with the battery, i guess. it "charges", it shows the charge lvl...how annoying...

Edited by ComputerTechniwhodawhat???, 02 January 2006 - 10:58 PM.

ComputerTechniWhodaWhat?!? Its a term i use when I'm confused about computers. Seems to fit here... right??

#4 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:57 AM

Since it a laptop, I guess you can just stop using the mouse cuz it should have a touchpad or a control...joystick...thing in the middle of the keyboard.

So, does this mean you're phoblem is finally solved?

#5 ComputerTechniwhodawhat???

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 03:28 AM

i dont believe so... it was doing this when i borrowed it from my dad... but maybe. lets try removing all USB devices and try charging...nope. it doesnt like the touchpad either. oh well. crud... is this an uncommon problem?

#6 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:33 AM

Hmm...It's certainly not a problem I've heard of. Now its starting to sound like a software problem. It might also be that something (like a wire) is loose inside the computer, but I don't see why the mouse would affect that... If that is the case, though, you might have to take it to someplace that fixes computers (I think Best Buy does). Anyway, back to software...

Can you remember if you did anything (visiting an odd website, installing a new program, changing a setting, etc.) that you don't usually do with it before the problem started?

My suspicion now is that you have some kind of virus or spyware (because that's always my suspicion when strange stuff happens), but I've never heard of a virus affecting hardware... I suppose it could happen.

Here is a list of free programs, including virus scans and spyware protection that you can look into. They might just fix something.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

I use Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware, and they both work well. I'm also going to try to get someone who might know more about this problem than I do to look at it.

PS: It might be helpful for you to give some information about your computer, such as brand, model, operating system, and security programs.

Edited by Lanscader, 03 January 2006 - 10:45 AM.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:10 PM

It might be helpful for you to give some information about your computer, such as brand, model, operating system, and security programs.

Absolutely right.

Try this:

Q: How to condition the battery to get a better charge.

A: Please do the followings:

Full charge the battery.

Power on the system.

Go into the CMOS setup by hitting "F2" on power up.

Run the battery down while staying in the setup screen until the unit completely dies.

Repeat the process at least 3 times, to get better battery performance.

Q: My battery does not seem to be charging. How long does it to take to charge my battery?

A: Normally it takes two hours to charge the battery if you are not operating the system. If the battery does not seem to be charging, cycle the battery. In other words, discharge then recharge it. The 700 Series battery can be charged in either media bay. Try both bays. If the charging function stops, which is indicated by the battery icon on the status panel, and the battery has still not fully charged, unplug the AC-adapter then reconnect it. If it still does not charge, you may need a new battery, as the old one may be shot.

Edited by Rimmer, 03 January 2006 - 07:12 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 ComputerTechniwhodawhat???

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:43 PM

Ok, a few things.
1: Battery doesnt charge. It says it is for a bit, but then the light goes off and the icon goes away.
2: I have a Compaq Presario X1000
3: Battery type is Li-ion.
4: It says the charge is at... again... 43%, and wont go any higher for some reason i guess...
5:I will try the F2 CMOS Setup on powerup in a bit, and get back to ya on it.
6: As i said: Compaq Presario X1000, Win XP, McAfee as virus scanner, Ad-aware as adware/Spyware scanner, and i believe windows firewall is on.

I think thats the data you may require. Thanks for helping me! I hope this helps!!

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:06 PM

Have a look at this HP/Compaq troubleshooting page:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cc=au&rule=7568

- from what I read there you need a new battery, but you should run through their procedure yourself to check.

Good Luck.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#10 ComputerTechniwhodawhat???

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 04:18 AM

Well, that bites... I guess i need a new battery... I'll get one ASAP so i can bring it to school. Thanks for all the help! I guess it was the battery being a piece of junk after all...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users