Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SLI usage spike and crash

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mischievousape

mischievousape

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:36 AM

Hello! I'm close to sending a GPU back for RMA, but before I start that trip, I was hoping for some advice :)

I have 2 GTX 470 cards, one EVGA and one ZOTAC. Both have the exact same clock speeds all round, and for testing I have removed all overclocking on this system. I also have a 900w high current Antec PSU with a Quad Rail +12V set-up with 40A on each rail. Each of the 4 PCI-E power cable has access to 25A supplying more than enough power. I have a DF-85 case, with a total of 9 system fans, with max temps nowhere near critical levels for all components. Using Win7 64.

I am getting usage spikes up to 100% of GPU, followed by either: a driver crash, appcrash/apphang or a total system lock-up requiring a hard reset. This is not all the time and only happens in SLI mode. It only occurs in Crysis, Crysis 2, Dragon Age 2 and Medal Of Honour (all EA games but NVM). I've attached a couple of images to show, look on the right side of the pics at the bottom.

The usage spike only occurs on the ZOTAC card, and I have put that card in both slots and MSI Afterburner shows the spike only in that card. If I only have the ZOTAC card installed, I do not get the crashes, but as soon as the other card is in the ZOTAC card spikes and crashes.

THINGS I HAVE TRIED:
Reinstalling games.
Using lots of other drivers, i install in safe mode after reinstalling and using driver sweeper. I've tried drivers going back 5 releases.
Using a different SLI bridge.
Using compressed air to clean out PCI-E lanes.
Used MemTest and Prime to check RAM and CPU for errors, over multiple runs. Also tried a different RAM kit and a Athlon 2 X4 645 CPU instead of my AM3 965.
Stopped all non-Windows programs, and tested individual programs in succession.
Ran DxDiag, no issues found.
Ran games at lower resolution and with lower settings.
Increased NB votlage to 1.3v
Increased nForce chip to 1.3v
Increased PCI frequency to 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106

I'm getting a new HD next week so I will be testing this on a fresh install of Windows 7 64 as well.

Ok...I think that's everything...The thing that is throwing me, is that I can run games like Metro2033 at maximum with no problems at all, just some games crash with SLI even when they should support SLI.

Can anyone give me any ideas or advice on what I can do? If I can't use SLI for so many games there's just no point in spending money on it, but being a complete geek I'm in love with this tech xD Well, thanks for reading this long post if you have gotten this far :)

Full Spec:
Phenom X4 965 @ 3.4Ghz
GTX470 SLI
4x2GB OCZ DDR3 Platinum RAM @ 1333Mhz
ASUS M4N98TD EVO Motherboard
Hitachi 500GB 7200RPM HD
Antec High Current 900w PSU with Quad +12v

Attached Files

Edited by mischievousape, 08 May 2011 - 06:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mischievousape

mischievousape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:45 AM

I've been testing different versions of drivers, and the worst are by far the most recent WHQL 270.61. Frequency of crashing is massive compared to older versions. Is it possible that it's just drivers?? If so, wth can I do??

#3 mischievousape

mischievousape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:43 AM

Add Mafia 2 to the games that crash list :(

#4 mischievousape

mischievousape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:54 AM

I'm gonna do a reformat now and see of that helps or not.

#5 mischievousape

mischievousape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:07 AM

Reformatting HD did not resolve :(

I removed the EVGA card, leaving only the suspect ZOTAC card installed. This card is doing some strange things: if I leave the fan profile on Auto, the fan speed does not increase fast enough to deal with the heat, and the card will get to 93C and then crash. If I use my custom fan profile for Afterburner, the card will take longer to get to 93C, but it will still eventually get there are crash. It's got to be a bad card.

Well, I will update this thread in case anyone else has a similar problem, but next step is RMA. (hope someone is reading this hehe...)

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:59 AM

134 of us have read this.

#7 mischievousape

mischievousape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:46 AM

I'm testing this card in another PC, and I think that there is definitely some kind of cooling issue. My psychic hunch is that the heatsink is applied properly or something like that. I'm going to install some games on that other PC tonight, but watching the temperature of that card in that other PC, it's obvious that when I remove VSync the temp climbs and climbs.

As soon as I can replicate the same fault in the other system, this card will be RMA'd.

#8 mischievousape

mischievousape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:48 AM

134 of us have read this.

hehe...hello :)

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:56 PM

you made 7 post yourself to your own thread,poster looking to help people are passing you over because they see so many post to your thread they think you are being helped ,seems to me you figured it out yourself ,good luck with the RMA

Edited by caperjac, 10 May 2011 - 12:56 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#10 mischievousape

mischievousape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:13 PM

you made 7 post yourself to your own thread,poster looking to help people are passing you over because they see so many post to your thread they think you are being helped ,seems to me you figured it out yourself ,good luck with the RMA

Sorry if you guys think I'm making some criticism, I'm really not. And, I'm also posting everything I'm doing here, since it may help people who read it in the future :) More testing tomorrow should nail whether it's the card of my PC. If it's my PC, I really will have no idea what's wrong :D

#11 mischievousape

mischievousape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

Used the card in a second system, and easily replicated the fault :) Card getting sent back to the store tomorrow!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users