Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Combofix and having issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Discombobulated_lol

Discombobulated_lol

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:08 AM

Hello Bleeping community

I have a Question on a problem i'v been having with Combofix , it involves me running in safe mode to use Combofix to check for any Viruses !

AVG Warned me that i have a Trojan Horse OXi on my computer but once i tried to remove it , I noticed that the AVG Button to remove it was not highlighted for me to persist in its removal and when i click on remove nothing happens !

is AVG Working ok?

So i decided to uninstall AVG and scan my computer in safe mode with Combofix to see if it would find the Virus and delete it !

The Problem: when i start ComboFix in safe mode it warns me that AVG was still detected and i need to disable it or it may Interfering with Combofix befor clicking "OK" and OR it can cause my computer to have unpredictable results and it may damage my computer !!!!!!

Question : Why is Combofix telling me that basically AVG is still Enabled even after i'v already uninstalled AVG in the first place?

AVG 11 Cant be found in any of my Documents or folders .......wTF??????
Not even when i go to "Start" - "Control Panel" - "Add or remove" ......

Can i find AVG in "Run" - "Regedit" ???????

"Ctrl - Alt - Del" ?????

Please if anyone can help me i would really appreciate it so much !

Thanks !!

Discombobulated_lol ....Literally

Edit: Moved topic from Am I hacked? What do I do? to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:07 AM

As a general policy, Bleeping Computer does not offer advice on how to run ComboFix unless we asked someone to run it. This is because people should not be using ComboFix without being advised to do so by a trained expert (i.e. Malware Response Team) who is assisting a member deal a malware issue on that system. When issues arise due to complex malware infections, possible false detections, problems running ComboFix or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. When false detections are identified, experts have access to the developer and can report them so he can investigate, confirm and make corrections. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment.

Further, using ComboFix is only one part of the disinfection process. Preliminary scans from other tools like DDS, RSIT and GMER should be used first because they provide comprehensive logs with specific details about files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection. Analysis of those logs allows planning an strategy for effective disinfection and a determination if using ComboFix is necessary. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.

If you need assistance with a malware infection that requires using ComboFix, please read the "Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help".
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 7 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.
  • When you have done that, post your log in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts.
  • If you already ran ComboFix, include the log (ComboFix.txt) in your topic. It should have been saved to your root directory, usually C:\.

Note: ComboFix will not run if AVG anti-virus is installed as a protective measure against the actions of the scanning engine. This is because AVG "falsely" detects ComboFix (or its embedded files) as a threat and may remove them. If some of these files are removed, ComboFix will not perform its routines properly and the developer has determined this can cause damaging or "unpredictable results". Normally this is avoided by temporarily disabling the anti-virus until ComboFix has been run but AVG cannot be effectively disabled. After restarting the computer, AVG re-enables all protections even if it hasn't passed the 15 minute time limit. As such, the developer has chosen not to allow his tool to run until the anti-virus is uninstalled first in order to avoid any potential problems. Please understand that this is an issue with the anti-virus and not with ComboFix. If you uninstalled AVG and ComboFix is still detecting it as present, then the uninstall most likely did not completely remove all traces of files/folders/registry entries which were created during the installation.

You can download and use AVG's uninstall/cleanup utility (AVG Remover) provided in the AVG 2011+9.0+8.x Uninstall/Re-Install Instructions. After restarting and removing the folders, stop where instructed to Stop here if not re-installing. If you have difficulty uninstalling the anti-virus, download and use Opswat AppRemover.

Edited by quietman7, 09 May 2011 - 07:23 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users