Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How important is portability for college?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:18 AM

When considering laptops, how important is portability in college? Where do you bring your laptop around and how often? How big/heavy is it?

I'm asking because I currently have a desktop which I would love to bring, in which case I would buy a portable laptop. Or, if portability isn't important, then I would just get a powerful and bulky laptop. I'm planning on doing light programming and some gaming.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:00 PM

A lot depends on what your doing personal preferences, I used a 17 inch HP Dv8000 in college, because I liked the full sized keyboards, all the smaller laptops at the time had the shrunk down keyboards that I found a pain to type on. I also used it for light gaming and movie watching, so the bigger screen was nice, it was a bit of a pain to haul around though. Theres pros and cons to every laptop.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

it's a pain to work on small screen

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#4 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:50 AM

Honestly I found that if I had a laptop with me in class I was far less likely to pay attention to the material.

I will say that battery life is a good idea since otherwise you will be tethered to some frequently inconvenient and highly coveted spot in the room, though I have had classes in a few lecture halls that were built with laptop use in mind. Wireless can also be surprisingly hit or miss.

For gaming and programming I'd go for a larger laptop (or have a TV you can hook the laptop up to for gaming :D)

#5 HFVIII

HFVIII

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

I agree with joggiwagga about getting a laptop with a good battery life. I'm in between my second and third year at university and bought my laptop right before starting. The battery life (which was once 3 hours) is now about an hour and a half. I don't really take it to classes that often (it's bulky and honestly, handwritten notes work better for me). But for all the papers and outside research I have to do, it's necessary. All of this use kills the battery over time. Longer initial battery life = longer life of computer.

As for small screens, I have a friend with a netbook, and I hate working on it (though it is very convenient). It's too small and the keyboard is too smashed together for efficient typing (for me at least).
-HFVIII

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users