Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Com+ Error In Event Log

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:13 PM

What a mess!
XP-Home, SP2, IE6-sp2 as well, all upgrades (automatic, unfortunately?)
I saw on google that it's related to patch KB905915

the exact text of my error is quoted inside this KB article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909444
except that XP-HOME is not mentioned, and I have no idea what to do now. I am not a server. Just XP-home on a survival trip.

Few quotes:

Before Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-051, explicit permissions to the COM+ catalog were not required. The COM+ catalog files are .clb files and are located in the %windir%\registration folder. By default, the COM+ catalog directory and files have the following permissions:...

blah, blah, blah

When this problem occurs, you may receive one or more of the following events in the event log:..."

and mine is:

COM+ Services Internals Information: File: d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\shared\util\svcerr.cpp, Line: 1259 Comsvcs.dll file version: ENU 2001.12.4414.308 shp
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I did go there. I have no idea what it means when it says there's no information.

I also see something similar:

MS DTC Tracing infrastructure : the initialization of the tracing infrastructure failed. Internal Information : msdtc_trace : File: d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\dtc\dtc\trace\src\tracelib.cpp, Line: 1154, RegisterTraceGuids Failed, hr=0x80070005
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

and

MS DTC started with the following settings:
Security Configuration (OFF = 0 and ON = 1):
Network Administration of Transactions = 0,
Network Clients = 0,
Inbound Distributed Transactions using Native MSDTC Protocol = 0,
Outbound Distributed Transactions using Native MSDTC Protocol = 0,
Transaction Internet Protocol (TIP) = 0,
XA Transactions = 0

How did I end up with all this mess? How do I clean up? Do I just ignore it?
I do NOT at this point have a reliable system restore point because one of the trojan or virus checker required disabling, thus killing, previous system restore points.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winnipeg

Winnipeg

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 02:34 PM

Hi tos226;

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature.

To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration.

1. Start your computer. Go To > Start > Turn Off Computer > Restart.

2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.

3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.

Hope this helps you.

Winnipeg

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:16 PM

Thanks. I didn't know such a tool existed. I have to think about this. I think I have to first find out for sure when the weirdness began before going back without being sure what a 'good' config was. I'm thinking it may be related to the mid-December patches from Microsoft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users