Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! host.exe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 claycoconut

claycoconut

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:02 AM

Hi,
basically eset found that my thumbdrive is infected with something called win32/trojandropper.small.apl as host.exe
but for some reason eset doesnt remove it
ive tried deleting it using cmd but it cant be found
is it harmful? how do i remove it? any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:21 AM

Please download Norman Malware Cleaner and save to your desktop.
alternate download link
Note: If you previously used Norman, delete that version and download it again as the tool is frequently updated!
  • Be sure to read all the information Norman provides on that same page.
  • Double-click on Norman_Malware_Cleaner.exe to start. Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
    The tool is very slow to load as it uses a special driver. This is normal so please be patient.
  • Read the End User License Agreement and click the Accept button to open the scanning window.
  • For usb flash drives or other removable drives not listed, use the Add button to browse to the drives location, click on the drive to highlight and choose Ok.
  • Click Start Scan to begin.
  • In some cases Norman Malware Cleaner may require that you restart the computer to completely remove an infection. If prompted, reboot to ensure that all infections are removed.
  • After the scan has finished, a log file a log file named NFix_date_time (i.e. NFix_2009-06-22_07-08-56.log) will be created on your desktop with the results.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (v1.50.1) and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click on the setup file to install, then follow these instructions for doing a Quick Scan in normal mode.
  • Don't forget to check for database definition updates through the program's interface (preferable method) before scanning.
Malwarebytes' may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • After completing the scan, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab .
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.
  • Exit Malwarebytes' when done.
Note: If Malwarebytes' encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes' from removing all the malware.

-- Some types of malware will target Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools to keep them from running properly. If that's the case, please refer to the suggestions provided in For those having trouble running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as you may need to rename it or use RKill by Grinler.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 claycoconut

claycoconut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for the quick reply,
I've followed your instructions but I'm stuck at adding my flash drive because I cannot click the "add" button.
I've tried redownloading it but still it wouldn't work :(

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:05 PM

Then continue with the Malwarebytes' scan.

#5 claycoconut

claycoconut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:08 PM

Oh I've figured it out, the scan mode must be set to custom.
BTW any idea what is W32/Suspicious_Gen2.NBCK? norman malware cleaner found this but eset has missed it.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:33 AM

any idea what is W32/Suspicious_Gen2.NBCK

I need to see the log. Each security vendor uses their own naming conventions to identify various types of malware so it's difficult to determine exactly what has been detected or the nature of the threat without knowing more information about the actually file(s) involved. Names with Generic or Patched are a very broad category. See Understanding virus names.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users