Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot from harddrive.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hayesgav

hayesgav

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:26 PM

After I got sick of some programs crashing, I decided to install windows xp. i shrinked 1 partition and created a new partition called XP mistakenly under drive A. I shutdown and put in xp disc, selected the newly created partition and chose install there and said not to format as it did when i partitioned. It copied the files and reboted, I took out the disk. The fist screen of my bios now says flopy disks fail (40) or something like that. When I normally go to select an OS, it says hard disk could not be read. I put in my win 7 upgrade disk to try to restore, but there is no restore on an upgrade disk. When in the windows 7 install screen(looking for restore) I deleted the newly created partition. How can I get the computer to boot from hard disk again?

Edited by hamluis, 08 May 2011 - 07:19 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Win 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:17 AM

If...you installed XP after Win 7 was preinstalled...there's a good chance that you damaged the Win 7 boot files, since normal procedure calls for the more recent O/S to be installed later.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

You could try to use EasyBCD For Windows 7 - http://www.intowindows.com/download-easybcd-for-windows-7/ to repair the boot files...or use the Win 7 repair option, followed by following the sevenforums guidance.

Louis

If the goal is to dual-boot XP and Win 7...the simplest way to do that would be to install XP properly first...followed by an install of Win 7.

Edited by hamluis, 08 May 2011 - 07:19 AM.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:19 AM

a: drive is ALWAYS reserved for a floppy drive, so I have no idea what you actually did.

#4 hayesgav

hayesgav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:01 AM

It was a problem with the MBR. I missed the recovery option when I put in the win 7 disc, I just needed to do this:

Using your Windows 7 installation disc, boot to the command prompt at startup.
Type in these comands below, and press enter after each one.
bootrec /FixMbr
bootrec /FixBoot
bootrec /RebuildBcd
Exit the command prompt and restart the computer.

I recreated the xp partition under a different letter and now I am going to install that and then fix the Mbr again.
Thanks hamilouis for the suggestions.

Edited by hayesgav, 08 May 2011 - 08:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users