Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Code 80070020

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:11 PM

A friend of mine has been trying to update her Vista 32 bit (SP2)computer.
When she tried to update KB971029 the computer goes to approx 11 percent and then stops with the error code of 80070020. I found a website at http://www.wisefixer.com/lp/?kw=80070020&gclid=CIe7m5Dp1qgCFapl7AodZTzTjA that claims to have a registry tool that will correct this particular problem. Has anyone had any experience with this error code, and is it safe to run this tool? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:18 PM

Disable your AV program and try again.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:23 AM

I forgot to say in the original message that some of the updates did install. It was just the one listed that did not install correctly. The lady with the problem e-mailed me, and we decided to wait until the next updates come in next month to see what happens. If we have that problem next month, we will try your solution. However, I doubt that this is what is causing the problem as I have the same operating system, and the same virus protection, and I don't have this problem. Thank you so much for your information. Are you the same Broni that use to post on Smartcomputing? If so, I remember you from there. You would always have the right answers for everyone's question. Thanks again, Broni.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:44 AM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Louis

#5 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

hamlius, yes! I have read Ed Bott's information never to use registry cleaners. What I sent was not a cleaner, it is suppose to be a fix for a specific registry entry. I am very skeptical about things like this as evil lurks behind ever corner on the internet. I advised the person I was assisting not to use it until I checked with some of the experts. I advised her earlier this AM to delete this website download as I could not verify the safety of running it. Thanks for your imput.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:33 AM

Are you the same Broni that use to post on Smartcomputing?

Haha....yes... It was looooooong time ago, but it always a pleasure to meet an old friend :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:58 AM

Broni, your name sticks out in my mind for some reason. It is a name a person cannot forget. Anyway, I always respected the answers you gave people on the questions they asked. You were alway right in your answers you gave. This may be another reason I did not forget your name. I have been on the Smartcomputing forum for many years now. I am not a regular there. It was nice catching up with you on this forum. I am using BC more regular now than Smartconputing. BC is a great place to learn things from very knowledgeable people.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:39 AM

Nice to see you again :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:04 PM

Broni, thanks for showing me your website. I will remember it.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:52 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users