Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Me Select A New Mobo

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 whunteman

whunteman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:38 PM

I will be using the (dual core) Athlon 64 X2 4400+ CPU
and two PCI-E GeForce 6800GS GPU's to run
three monitors.

I will not be overclocking anything, and
I will not be using the SLI mode.

It looks like I will have to purchase a SLI MOBO, to run
3 monitors, but I'm not sure about that.

Edited by whunteman, 03 January 2006 - 10:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:38 PM

Since you're not overclocking DFI might not be the best choice, but, it's still a very good option if you go with them I'd look at their SLi models and the Ultra-D. As for other companies I can recommend the MSI Neo4 Platinum or the K8N SLi if you want to spend a little more I'd look into the ASUS SLi premium that heat pipe is very nice and totally worth it I also believe EPoX makes a SLi board and I've had very good experiences with them. I don't think you will have to buy a board with SLi to use three monitors because I thought that it didn't support more than one currently.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#3 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:48 AM

I believe that to be correct / the sli boards running two video cards are not for the purpose of running dual monitors / they are to use two video cards to team up on one process (gaming) somewhat like dual modem in a dial-up configuration >>>> you must activate the sli feature to run two video cards in syncranized mode ????

better be looking at a darn good power supply

like this one / dont be fooled by the BS that many PSU makers are pushing >>>> everydody is putting SLI ready stickers on their PSU >>>> unfortunately there is no standard for a SLI ready PSU >>> so that term really means >>>> BUYER BEWARE I have seen many systems so far that would not run in a stable manner because of a poor quality PSU >>>. remember that dual core CPU will eat up atleast 125watts and video cards now can chew up 100 watts each like nothing and even a tad more !!!!!

Make sure you buy memory from a website like Corsair, Crucial, OCZ that has a memory selector or configurator to be sure that you are buying memory that has been tested to run with the mobo you choose !!
and dont try 4gigs of memory >>>> most boards advertise they can handle the 4 gig config but there are a ton of forum posts where no boards (or windows is the culprit) can stabily handle 4 gigs >>>>> you will find 2 gigs is PLENTY even for the most serious gamer.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/11/str...est/page15.html

regards

joe

regards

joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users