Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to ground a pc

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _-Rs-_

_-Rs-_

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:09 PM

Alright, Guys

Let me start my telling my problem, Well i have a system which i got it assembled some time a go

At that time i didn't know much about computers, And nothing about earthing anyway later i starting getting shocks when i touch the case

Jest the metal or steel part, Whatever the thing is made of, IF i connect like any usb devices ect.. i get shock when i touch them as-well

I am not sure what part is not grounded, Can anyone tell me is there a way to ground/earth my system

I searched a lot of forums for answers, But non of them really helped me, One answer sad i should strap some wire to my case and the other part nail it to the ground

But no one confirmed if that really works, But there must be something inside my system i can do to ground it, It's not the problem of my house for sure i got other systems which are assembled by the company, But they don't give me any shock

So guys please help me out, As far as i know most psu's have a ground wire i am not sure if i have it or not but i can check but i want someone to guide me so i can fix this problem.

Edited by _-Rs-_, 07 May 2011 - 05:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:01 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

First of all the processes you need to worry about, the number one you need to worry about is whether your house wiring is properly Earthed.

I do not know if you rent or own the building you live in.

If you rent, it is up to your landlord to fix the problem.

If you own, it is up to you.

By using the word properly Earthed is to say the Main supply feed to your house wiring, must be properly grounded to Earth as it enters the building, this is done by driving a copper or steel rod deep into the Earth about 4 feet deep.

Attaching a copper cable to this rod and then attaching this to the house wirings 3rd wire, this is the ground wire, it is commonly a bare uncoated wire made of either copper or aluminum, this wire then connects to the 3rd prong of most house wall outlets, in the USA this prong has an "U" shaped prong while the other two are flat and wide, one prong is slightly wider then the other so it only fits the socket one way.

Your computer comes with a power plug for your PSU that has 3 prongs, it can only be plugged into the wall outlet one way, the wall outlet should be grounded through the 3rd prong.

If your house wiring is very old and out dated, there is the chance the outlets do not have polarized plugs, there is also the possibility someone did not wire the hot and neutral wires properly to the wall socket.

To properly address such issues, purchasing a device that plugs into wall outlets to determine if the socket is wired or grounded properly can be purchased.

Radio Shack carries such a device.

You also need to be concerned about your Internet connection, how are you connecting? Cable TV? Telephone line?
You need to make sure that service is properly grounded as well.

Also another phenomenon is when the air is very dry, static electricity becomes a big problem, your touching something that is grounded to Earth can cause a temporary discharge of positive or negative IONs from your body to the grounded device, or to a device that is charged differently then your IONs, opposites do attract in a case like this and the result is electricity flows.

Some power strips do offer some assistance in determining line conditions, they come with status lights that indicate if the lines are reversed polarity or if they are properly grounded to Earth.

As long as everything is properly connected inside of a computer and grounded properly and the house wiring is properly grounded, there shouldn't be any reason to connect an extra grounding wire to the computer case.
It can be done, but should not be necessary if the things I mentioned above are taking care of.

If you are interested in purchasing the device I mentioned I will provide a link to several such devices here in this Google search link: http://www.google.com/#q=electrical+outlet+analyzer&hl=en&biw=1263&bih=641&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=rtDFTfKNNYH20gH47tjtAg&ved=0CH8QrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=4a6afda2e5e8ee6f

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 May 2011 - 06:10 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 _-Rs-_

_-Rs-_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:26 PM

Hmm, Thanks for the reply Bruce.

After reading your reply, I am still not sure what should i do, You see i don't live in USA and i live in a rented house but the system is different here long as i let the owner know

What i am doing i can do anything, Anyway not my point what i am trying to say is the house i live is really new and it's grounded, I am 100% sure the problem is my computer

See i have moved to at least 5 houses all new in the past years, Where ever i go i have this problem but you know better then me what do you suggest i should do

If i cant fix it i will go and get it fixed but i am a geek type i want to learn so i am gonna try my best to fix it first, Should i check inside my system if everything is properly connect

I have cleaned the system a few times, Maybe i didn't install something right, Well i don't have any problem with the shock and all but you see i record my guitar on my system

Now i have two problem the guitar strings give me the shock i fix it by waring shoes but lol that's a really pain, and also when recording i get his small buzzzzzz kinda sound maybe static,

Anyway is there anything else i can try ?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:06 PM

Can you please tell me what country you live in so I have an idea of what type of electrical outlets you use and can you also verify what your country uses for supply voltage, for example here in the USA we use between 115 to 120 Volts AC, I know some countries use 230 Volts AC.

Recheck the inside of your computer case, make sure that the motherboard is making some type of electrical connection to the computer case.

Before I get too far off track here, I want to recommend a device called a VOM multimeter.

A multimeter is a device that can be used to make measurements on electrical circuits, they also are used to make continuity checks in circuits.

Continuity checks allow us to determine if one part of a circuit is making a physical connection to another part of a circuit.

Purchasing a VOM multimeter and setting it to either the Ohms reading scale or choosing the mode CONTINUITY, you can now connect the RED probe and the BLACK probe together, the meter if it is digital should show a reading of 00000 Ohms, if your meter has a needle, the needle should move all the way over to the right indicating full scale.

Once you have an understanding of how the meter works, you can now use it to check for continuity.

Place one probe, doesn't matter which one to the metal surface of the computer case, carefully place the other probe on your power plugs third prong, see if you have any full scale meter reading, if you do, your computer case is properly grounded.

I'll leave it at that for now, as adding more information at this point will get us both lost, so please report back your findings and we'll go from there.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 _-Rs-_

_-Rs-_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:02 PM

Hay, Bruce

I live in india and I think, Residential power supplied here is two wire 240 volts, permitted variation 6%, and maximum load 40 amperes. Frequency 50 Hz.

And like you said i checked inside my system, Dam dust anyway i am not sure what you meant by

"motherboard is making some type of electrical connection to the computer case." but here's what i saw the motherboard was screwed inside other then

The Hard Disks, The sound card, The dvd drive nothing is touching the case directly, The wires ether connect to the parts or some plastic thing by plastic thing i mean

I have these two extra usb ports built in front of my case, From the inside they have this plastic thing to hold them together.

And about the VOM multimeter i will get it soon as i can :)

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:55 AM

Because you have lived in many locations, the static electricity may be coming from you. Their are many web sites that explain how your body can have static electricity and things to do that will help. Their are special meters that can read this static to let you know where it is coming from. At this time you don't know if the static electricity is coming from you to the computer or from the computer to you. Google, static electricity.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users