Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Expired Today...i Need Advice Fast!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nathansdad04

nathansdad04

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:29 PM

I just found this site(Thank God)....I need some help on what FREE online security programs there are out there and what programs I actually need.
My Norton subscription expired today so my computer is vulnerable...so I need to get it protected very very soon. I'm going to start reading on this site, but if anyone's got any suggestions to expedite things....I'd appreciate it.
I know very very little about Online security programs, other than plunkin down $50 for Norton etc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:46 PM

Hi nathansdad04.. Welcome and glad you found the forum

Take a look at this Bleeping Computer compendium on freeware. You should find what you need.

You should run One Firewall, One Antivirus and several Spyware detectors

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...616&hl=freeware

And Virus and Malware resources

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/25/antivirus-firewall-and-privacy-products-and-protection-methods/

:thumbsup:

Edited by boopme, 02 January 2006 - 08:54 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:20 PM

If I choose the Avast program and 1 of the anti-spyware programs for example...will that keep my email protected also?
I hate to be so 'thick' when it comes to this stuff, but before I found this site I just purchased Norton and 'called it a day'. I don't want to pay $50 again for commercial software, but I also don't want to screw up and leave my new laptop 'exposed' to viruses etc

BTW: Do I PURCHASE AD-Aware or is it free?

Edited by nathansdad04, 02 January 2006 - 09:21 PM.

#4 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:18 PM

Do I need to un-install Norton BEFORE I download another security program?

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:53 PM

Ad aware is free. I use it and EWIDO and Spybot and spyblaster all free. I would uninstall first to avoid conflicts. I don't have Avast, but many many here do and it is good.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:04 PM

Just in case you do decide on Avast.

How to Install, Configure, and Use Avast Antivirus
Posted Image

#7 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:42 PM

I ended up downloading AVG and Zone Alarm(I flipped a coin). Apparently I'm an idiot cause I couldn't figure out how download Adaware free.
I still have to get an anti-spyware program right?

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:53 PM

Yes down load AdAware here

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Person...ubj=dl&tag=top5

Down load and instructions here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/%20...uter-tut48.html

Edited by boopme, 02 January 2006 - 11:54 PM.

#9 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:18 AM

Thanks for the link....now I've got AVG,SpyBot,Zone Alarm, and Adaware. Is there anything else I could be missing?

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:28 AM

Hi, I would add 2 more as they compliment Spybot S&D

Spywareblaster

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/use-spywareblaster-to-protect-your-computer/

and Spyware Guard

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/use-spywareguard-to-protect-your-computer/

#11 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:59 AM

Thanks for all the help............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users