Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Virus?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mitchelll

Mitchelll

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

Hello all, i'm back once again.. I'll get right to it:
I'm having issues with my laptop. I started noticing my icons were disappearing on my desktop, that's when I realized I had a problem; also when I try to close programs(yahoo,skype,poker) it keeps giving me these errors that I can copy upon request, that I never got before. I used AntiVir as my AV and do weekly scans and daily updates with never finding anything. I also have and used SuperAntiSpyware and malwarebytes and update and scan regularly and found nothing. I finally downloaded Spybot and then it found a load of problems. I deleted/quarantined as necessary, but I still believe I am infected. Also this next part is kind of hard to explain, but when you click Start in Windows- there's a picture that you can chose and change or whatever, I used to have a picture of a dog. It was also recently changed; when all my icons on my desktop started disappearing. After using Spybot, and removing what I thought was the infection- I still can't get my picture to stay to what I want, or even change. It's stuck as a flower. I don't know what's going on with my laptop. Hopefully I can get some help!
specs:
Laptop - Windows Vista Home
sp2
64bit os

Edited by Mitchelll, 07 May 2011 - 03:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:17 PM

Can you post the logs from Malwarebytes and Super Anti-Spyware?

#3 Mitchelll

Mitchelll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:57 PM

Okay, they both come up with no results. But I will do as requested if you could be more specific: quick scan or complete scan? The complete scan sometimes causes my laptop to crash and takes hours. But like I said I do quick scans daily with no results. but I will post the requested info once I know which type of search you would like from each program.
edit: even the quick scan takes hours, I don't know why they take so long- I have tried deleting as much as possible from my laptops but scans still take forever. but I guess thats a whole other subject.

Edited by Mitchelll, 07 May 2011 - 03:59 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:26 PM

Perform a Full scan, and jot down the error message or crash that is generated.

#5 Mitchelll

Mitchelll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:25 PM

Okay I did a full scan with both Mbam and SuperAntiSpyware. I didn't get a .txt for the superantispyware results but it found 5 traces of adaware. I took a screenshot, but I don't think that is the problem at all. here is the the mbam results:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6529

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 7.0.6002.18005

5/7/2011 7:44:32 PM
mbam-log-2011-05-07 (19-44-32).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 349772
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 8 minute(s), 20 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Edited by Mitchelll, 07 May 2011 - 09:26 PM.

#6 Mitchelll

Mitchelll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:36 AM

I await further instructions; I now have this website directed to my phone, so whenever I get a new response/instruction, I will respond immediately.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:09 PM

Lets try a Free Online Scan with ESET, once you are done post the log.

#8 Mitchelll

Mitchelll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:14 PM

Okay. So, you weren't specific enough with using the free ESET search; I had the option to scan archives, so I decided to check that to scan as well. Anyways, I was 6 hours in the scan, it looked to be about 60% done, then my computer froze. I couldn't control alt delete or do anything. So I had to hold the power button to turn it off. Now I got it back on(surprisingly didn't have to go through a windows fix which has been happening a lot when I have to power off using the power button like that)

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:31 PM

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

#10 Guest_Mitttttch_*

Guest_Mitttttch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:55 AM

Okay I have attempted to follow your instructions but have encountered problems. Within the link you gave me it instructs...:
" Disable any script-blocking programs and then double-click on the DDS.scr icon to start the program " - To use DDS, do I need to disable Windows firewall? My Avira Anti-virus? And I think spybot is running.. Do these all need to be disabled so I can use DDS?

Next, your link only provides the gmer link for 32bit computers, not 64. I have attempted to search and download the 64bit version, but I don't think I downloaded the right one.. it is telling me to:
"Please uncheck the following settings that we do not want in our scan.

IAT/EAT
Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive, which is typically C:\
Show All (This is important, so do not miss it.)

When done, the screen should look similar to Figure 13 below."
I don't have the option to uncheck or change what needs to be done to follow instructions(thats why i'm thinking maybe I have the wrong version installed).

Anyways, I will await further instructions.
Thanks,
Mitchell

Edited by Mitttttch, 09 May 2011 - 11:57 AM.

#11 Mitchelll

Mitchelll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:00 PM

The above post is from me, I accidentally logged in an old account I created by mistake. But it is me :)

Mod edit: Can we remove the old account, or would you rather delete this one? Only one is allowed. Thanks!

rigel
BC Moderator

Edited by rigel, 09 May 2011 - 02:44 PM.

#12 Mitchelll

Mitchelll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:51 PM

Yeah, if its not to much of a hassle on your end- you can go ahead and delete the account "mitttttch" (if I need to manually delete it, just let me know)
Thanks
edit: before you delete the account, will my information I posted above get deleted? If so, I need to copy and re post it. thanks!

Edited by Mitchelll, 09 May 2011 - 02:54 PM.

#13 Mitchelll

Mitchelll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

I have posted a new topic in the appropriate section you directed me.
So, as requested: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic396434.html ( New Topic )

Thanks for your assistance, suggestions, and taking the time out of your life to help me.

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:02 PM

Now that your log is properly posted you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the logs you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on, the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Removal Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users