Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittant Browsing Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JGProperty

JGProperty

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:06 PM

Hi, can anyone help me?

For 4 or 5 weeks now I have been having intermittent problems connecting to the internet both with IE8 and Firefox (3 and 4).

I am using a Dell Vostro laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium but the problem also seems to occur on an HP Laptop running XP Home Premium. Both computers connect to the outside world via the same Draytec/Vigor ADSL 2 router. It makes no difference whether the laptops are connected by WiFi or hard wired to the router.

On the internet side my browser stops connecting saying it cannot display the page – this occurs both in IE8 and Firefox. When I check the network connections it reports that the computers are connected to the router and the router is connected to the internet. Usually Outlook is still receiving mail and Skype works.

After a few minutes the internet connection will re-establish but often this can be speeded up by rebooting the router. This doesn't happen all the time. For example on Monday it didn't happen at all but somtimes it happens with annoying regularity – sometimes every 2 or 3 minutes.

With regard to Outlook 2003 this program sometimes stops sending emails or on occasion it will neither send or receive, however my browsers can be working well. This happens much less often. I have a number of email accounts in Outlook most of which are for my own domains which are hosted on the same 3rd party servers but one account is on a totally different server and is not owned by me. The problem happens on all the accounts at the same time which suggests it isn't a problem for one particular server or account.

With Outlook 2003 I get send receive error messages saying Reported error (0x80040119) : Unknown Error 0x80040119.

Have you any idea what is causing this? Could it be an anti virus program or even some malware? My Vostro security is handled by Trend Micro Security Agent. I've scanned my computer with this and also with Malwarebytes Anti Malware but no issues are reported. The HP used AVG and Malwarebytes again no reported issues. Also tried 2 or 3 other malware programs. Nothing shows,

I've tried surfing on other netwoks - at work or a friends house - but though I get occasional problems I have never had anything like the regularity of problem However, as I can go some days on my normal network with no problems the occasional couple of hours elsewhere cannot be a sure sign that it is a router problem.

I also tried surfing from home last night using a 3g broadband connection on the Dell and the hard-wired ADSL2 on the XP machine. When surfing failed on the XP it didn't fail on the Dell. When both are connected via the ADSL2 router the problem occurs on both at the same time. Trying just one computer at a time makes no difference. Whichever computer is connected will have the problem.

I do wonder if I have a spambot infection on one or both laptops. I've asked my telecoms company and they report no suspicious activity but ..... Also most days I get 2 or 3 "returned undeliverable" emails refering to messages I have supposedly sent to people I have never heard of. This only happens in LiveMail 2011 not in Outlook. I've always assumed these are just messages with dodgy attachments and delete them unopened but perhaps someone has a better idea.

Help please – this is doing my head in!

James

Edited by JGProperty, 07 May 2011 - 01:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:25 PM

Remove SKYPE and check it again.

#3 JGProperty

JGProperty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:05 AM

Ok - removed Skype completely from the W7 machine (never was on the XP and anyway the problem occurs whether one or both were on the internet). Ran 4 different spyware programs. Apart from the usual "warnings" about some cookies (which I removed anyway) they all reported the all-clear.

Have surfed for 4 hours and the problem is still there. So any other ideas please?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:19 AM

I would uninstall the network drivers...and then reinstall same...and consider the possibility of an ongoing hardware failure.

Louis

#5 JGProperty

JGProperty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:07 AM

Gosh, uninstalling the network drivers sounds a bit complicated for me. As for hardware are you thinking of the computers or the router? The rounter is fairly new as is my laptop. Also I've had a friend try her laptop on my network and she is getting the same problem. It is looking less like a computer or browser problem isn't it? Is there a guide somewhere for uninstalling the network drivers?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

Some Instructions/Explanations.

Louis

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:20 PM

Ran 4 different spyware programs.

Which ones specifically?
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users