For 4 or 5 weeks now I have been having intermittent problems connecting to the internet both with IE8 and Firefox (3 and 4).
I am using a Dell Vostro laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium but the problem also seems to occur on an HP Laptop running XP Home Premium. Both computers connect to the outside world via the same Draytec/Vigor ADSL 2 router. It makes no difference whether the laptops are connected by WiFi or hard wired to the router.
On the internet side my browser stops connecting saying it cannot display the page – this occurs both in IE8 and Firefox. When I check the network connections it reports that the computers are connected to the router and the router is connected to the internet. Usually Outlook is still receiving mail and Skype works.
After a few minutes the internet connection will re-establish but often this can be speeded up by rebooting the router. This doesn't happen all the time. For example on Monday it didn't happen at all but somtimes it happens with annoying regularity – sometimes every 2 or 3 minutes.
With regard to Outlook 2003 this program sometimes stops sending emails or on occasion it will neither send or receive, however my browsers can be working well. This happens much less often. I have a number of email accounts in Outlook most of which are for my own domains which are hosted on the same 3rd party servers but one account is on a totally different server and is not owned by me. The problem happens on all the accounts at the same time which suggests it isn't a problem for one particular server or account.
With Outlook 2003 I get send receive error messages saying Reported error (0x80040119) : Unknown Error 0x80040119.
Have you any idea what is causing this? Could it be an anti virus program or even some malware? My Vostro security is handled by Trend Micro Security Agent. I've scanned my computer with this and also with Malwarebytes Anti Malware but no issues are reported. The HP used AVG and Malwarebytes again no reported issues. Also tried 2 or 3 other malware programs. Nothing shows,
I've tried surfing on other netwoks - at work or a friends house - but though I get occasional problems I have never had anything like the regularity of problem However, as I can go some days on my normal network with no problems the occasional couple of hours elsewhere cannot be a sure sign that it is a router problem.
I also tried surfing from home last night using a 3g broadband connection on the Dell and the hard-wired ADSL2 on the XP machine. When surfing failed on the XP it didn't fail on the Dell. When both are connected via the ADSL2 router the problem occurs on both at the same time. Trying just one computer at a time makes no difference. Whichever computer is connected will have the problem.
I do wonder if I have a spambot infection on one or both laptops. I've asked my telecoms company and they report no suspicious activity but ..... Also most days I get 2 or 3 "returned undeliverable" emails refering to messages I have supposedly sent to people I have never heard of. This only happens in LiveMail 2011 not in Outlook. I've always assumed these are just messages with dodgy attachments and delete them unopened but perhaps someone has a better idea.
Help please – this is doing my head in!
Edited by JGProperty, 07 May 2011 - 01:10 PM.