Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Make copy of HD after format or must I use a HD "imaging" program?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DetroitKnitter

DetroitKnitter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:38 PM

Hello. Thanks for reading and possibly replying.

1) I have a virus and am so annoyed I'm going to format my hard drive (LOL).
2) I would like to create a clean copy of my HD to put on CDs of several points in time so if I ever have a virus again, I can simply GO BACK to a clean HD. The first point would be after reinstalling Windows and all the service packs and what not. A second point would be after reinstalling my base programs and devices (Office, Jasc Paintshop, printer since those are the main ones I use). I would also like to create a 3rd point in time after updating all the drivers for my devices and patches for my programs. This way if I have 3 (or more) "copies" of a clean ready to operate HD I can simply copy the whole thing to C:\

Ok, the problem is that I don't know if this is something that will even work. I mean, can I simply copy all of C:\ and stick it on a disc then if things go haywire just stick my clean disc in and copy it back onto C:\ ?? Or do I need some software like one that creates an "image" of my drive.

I do realize that in addition I have to maintain a backup of my data but I'll have the assurance that I won't have to spend hours searching how to get rid of a problem or for driver updates again - I just reformatted Sept 2010 and have recently acquired this virus (bummer). I did ask for help in one of the other forum categories, but haven't heard anything and while I do realize everyone helping out is a volunteer, I'm getting restless and am now so overwhelmed with wandering around looking for answers that I'm ready to format... again. Sigh.

SOOOOO, can I simply copy my drive then copy it back in case of problem. OR must I use a drive imaging program. I've read about so many of those I'm going cross-eyed with that topic too.

Thanks for your help. This was supposed to be a short and quick question; sorry for dragging it out with a bit more detail than was probably necessary.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

Copying a partition or a drive...involves procedures that I feel are best executed by imaging/cloning software.

We know that such software does the job properly...I see no need to create a method which may not produce the desired results.

The only way to copy a partition/drive...involves the use of "HD imaging software", regardless of what it may be termed.

Louis

#3 DetroitKnitter

DetroitKnitter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:51 PM

I see your point. Thanks for your opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users