Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Center says Automatic Updates is turned off

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tu4sg

tu4sg

• Validating
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:37 PM

Windows Security Center says that Automatic Updates is turned off. When I click on the button to "Turn on Automatic Updates", a dialog box pops up that says it can't ("We're sorry. The Security Center could not change your Automatic Update settings..." It then instructs me to go to the control panel, System tab, and to turn them on myself. When I do that, that window says that Automatic Update ARE turned on (the Automatic (Recommended) radio button is selected).

I would assume that this is all happening as an after effect of having just been hit with the XP Total Security 2011 trojan. As far as I can tell, I have successfully gotten rid of that trojan, thanks to the fine help and instructions I found here at BP.

But whatever the cause, I now have this problem.

Ideas, anyone?

Edited by Budapest, 07 May 2011 - 04:18 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 normz04

normz04

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:43 PM

Click Start, select run, type: regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

DONE!

I had the same problem when my computer got infected by the trojan, the above will fix it also would able to update windows.

#3 Zinphony

Zinphony

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:20 AM

I became a member to say ...wow.

That was awesome, thank you.

#4 Jaggu77

Jaggu77

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:46 PM

Thanks a lot!!
This small step really really works..
I created an account just to say 'Thank you'.

Bleeping Computer.. Rocks!!!

#5 John1947

John1947

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

I also would like to thank norm204 very much as his suggestion worked perfectly!!

Not only could I then turn on the automatic update functions, but I was the able to detect and download many updates that I evidently couldn't get access to because of the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users