Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

autoruns-how to run?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 zulux

zulux

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:30 AM

Hi there hope someone can tell me..I joined Bleeping computers yesterday and today I downloaded 'Autoruns' after reading some posts on the forums,and now I find (ho-hum) I dont know how to run the program,ive unzipped it and its 'ready' but I just cant see the run/start button?can someone point me in the right direction please..many thanks..complete noob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Barthez

Barthez

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:03 AM

Are you referring to this program: Autoruns for Windows ? If so, then there's nothing to be installed, hence no entry in start menu.

In order to run this program you should first unpack Autoruns.zip to some folder and then execute the autoruns.exe file.

Remember that you can mess up the way how your computer works with clueless checking/unchecking/deleting so put extra effort in working with this application :)

HTH

Barthez

Posted Image

#3 zulux

zulux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:10 AM

Thankyou for your reply Barthez,I am trying to run..'Autoruns' from sysinternals.com,this software is supposed to tell me what is running on my pc at startup,Im sure its meant to be ran like a diagnostic ..are we talking about the same software? please reply,zulux

#4 Barthez

Barthez

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:12 AM

I am trying to run..'Autoruns' from sysinternals.com (...) are we talking about the same software?

Yes it's the same software.

Barthez

Posted Image

#5 zulux

zulux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:14 AM

Thank you for your reply once more

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:22 AM

Hello zulux, and welcome to BC. Before you attempt to use a powerful tool such as Autoruns (I use it myself) perhaps you can tell us what it is you hope/need to accomplish by using it? I noticed that in your introductory post you wrote I was trawling thru google to fnd a remedy for a naughty little virus Are you/ do you suspect that you are/ infected? If so, I would start a topic in the Am I Infected? forum after reading and following this guide.

As for your question, there is no run or start button as the program is an executable (.exe file) and does not install. Did you download it from here?: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

Please exercise extreme caution--especially as a novice user-- when disabling anything using Autoruns.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:30 AM

Pretty straight forward.

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

Of course you can disregard the last sentence about attaching the log.

Canned courtesy Broni.

#8 zulux

zulux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:33 AM

Thank you for your reply..yes I was having an issue with something called 'AI project updater'which ,after googeling I found that quite a few people were regarding as a virus,I was linked to BC and though I didnt geta definitive answer on how to get rid of this virus ..I managed to delete it using Unlocker after someone on the forums guided me to its location using Task manager. It was then I found I had 63 processes running'which I thought was a lot,considering im not a major geek and dont really have many programs on my system.In your opinion is 63 processes a lot or does that sound about right? many thanks zulux

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:37 AM

From what I am seeing in regards to Win7, 63 does not seem out of line.

Are you having any other problems with your machine? Or just concerned with the amount of processes?

#10 zulux

zulux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:37 AM

Many thanks ThuderZ I downloaded this to my desktop er do I need to put it in a file location?

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:40 AM

It can be run right from the desktop if desired. No need to move it unless you wish to.

As noted by Union_Thug

Please exercise extreme caution--especially as a novice user-- when disabling anything using Autoruns.

Before disabling anything you are unsure of please do the research on it to be sure it is not an essential start-up item.

Edited by ThunderZ, 07 May 2011 - 07:40 AM.

#12 zulux

zulux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:57 AM

Thanks for your concerns ThunderZ Im not going to touch anything at the moment,..I have wanted to speed up my pc for a long time because it used to boot up lightning fast but not anymore I thought it could be something to do with the fact that I have four 'iexplore.exe' running in the task manager! is that normal? zulux

#13 zulux

zulux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:07 AM

Hello zulux, and welcome to BC. Before you attempt to use a powerful tool such as Autoruns (I use it myself) perhaps you can tell us what it is you hope/need to accomplish by using it? I noticed that in your introductory post you wrote I was trawling thru google to fnd a remedy for a naughty little virus Are you/ do you suspect that you are/ infected? If so, I would start a topic in the Am I Infected? forum after reading and following this guide.

As for your question, there is no run or start button as the program is an executable (.exe file) and does not install. Did you download it from here?: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

Hi im not sure where I got it from right now,.it was early of of the morning yesterday and sometimes I get software that I have no idea how to use as is the case here..ah well now I have found this site maybe it wont be too long until I gain knowledge from people like you,many thanks again

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for your concerns ThunderZ Im not going to touch anything at the moment,..I have wanted to speed up my pc for a long time because it used to boot up lightning fast but not anymore I thought it could be something to do with the fact that I have four 'iexplore.exe' running in the task manager! is that normal? zulux

As far as I know regarding Win 7.

If you have Internet Explorer = iexplorer.exe open then you will have one instance of it for each tab you have open in it.
If you do not have Internet Explorer open but are seeing multiple instances of it then Union_Thug made the proper recommendation regarding posting in AII.

#15 zulux

zulux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:12 AM

Ah thank you very much this explains it,thanks for your time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users