Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build--can't get in BIOS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ruthe

Ruthe

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

I just built a computer for a friend out of parts I had here that were taken out of some of my other computers. I used an Asus
A8N-E MB with an Athlon 64 3800 processor. A Nvidia GeForce 7300LE 256MB PCI-E card. 1 GB PC 3200 400 MHz DDR x2, for a total of 2GB. Then I used a 80GB Western Digital EIDE HD. I got it all together earlier today and then connected it up. There are no beep codes and it starts up ok, but then I get the ASUS logo on the screen and the message at the bottom to press the del key to enter BIOS, which I did. It then says entering BIOS but just sits there at that screen. I don't know where to go from here.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:04 PM

The first thing I would try in this situation is to clear the CMOS memory, which can become corrupted during handling. The CMOS backup battery and CLRTC jumper are behind the PCI slots, ASUS' instructions are:

To erase the RTC RAM:

1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
2. Remove the onboard battery.
3. Move the jumper cap from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3. Keep the cap on pins 2-3 for about 5 ~ 10 seconds, then move the cap back to pins 1-2.
4. Re-install the battery.
5. Plug the power cord and turn on the computer.
6. Hold down the <Del> key during the boot process and enter BIOS setup to re-enter data.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users