Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall and Auto Updates suddenly disabled

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 IneedFixinUp

IneedFixinUp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:13 PM

After running a suggested fix from this website for XP Anti-Virus 2011, I now have this problem. When I power up, firewall/auto updates is off. I can manually enable firewall but next time it is off. Can't enable auto updates at all--from security center, control panel or Microsoft website. "we're sorry, security center cannot change your auto updates settings. Try going to control Panel to Auto Updates tab, etc." If I do that, it is already selected to update daily at 3 a.m. but it still appears off in Security Center. If I go to "help/support Center for Win XP" and select express update, I get a prompt stating "the website has encountered a prob and cannot display the page you are trying to view, etc. Error #0x80070424. I have tried tons of auto fixes and diagnostics from the Microsoft website for the 0x80070424 error. At one point, I also got an error stating that the wuapi.dll on Win XP Sp3 CD is needed.

I honestly think the REAL problem is that when I ran the fix from this website for the XP Anti-Virus 2011, that it deleted a necessary registry file and I now need it. I do have XP, SP3 and I run AVG/Spybot/Malwarebytes. Do I have to reinstall Windows xp or is there any other way to get the registry files I need?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:55 AM

Specifically...what "fix" did you run and did you follow the directions reflected in such?

If you are referring to one of the removal guides, and particularly, the one for XP Anti-Virus 2011, please note that the following is part of that guide:

"If you have any questions about this self-help guide then please post those questions in our AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods forum and someone will help you."

<<I honestly think the REAL problem is that when I ran the fix from this website for the XP Anti-Virus 2011, that it deleted a necessary registry file and I now need it.>>

From what I see...the Win Update error you mention is very common and I really don't see a definitive solution that I would suggest.

If you think key system files are missing/damaged...it's probably best to either try a repair install of XP or try running the sfc /scannow command with a CD reflecting the same SP as your system currently has.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html

Louis

#3 IneedFixinUp

IneedFixinUp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

Yes, the fix I used was the "removal guide" you refer to. I think you are implying that I have posted my problem in the wrong place and I should post it to the anti-virus forum. I can certainly do that and start a new thread.

I have also used what I call fixes (or suggestions) from the Microsoft website to try to fix my problem.

I can certainly reinstall XP but I do not have the SP3 disk because that is an update to the current version I have that I obtained with automatic updates. I'm not sure if that makes any difference but I can certainly try. I will take a look at the links you provided.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users