Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Communication Tip Needed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:01 PM

what's the best way to tell your dad something terrible and not have him utterly mutilate you?

My video card took it's last breaths today while playing minecraft and my computer no longer turns on. It's my dad's only computer and he uses it for work so I need some advice on revealing the bad news. We have all night to brainstorm as he's working late and will probably sleep at his apartment near his office so let's get cracking.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:05 PM

Video cards die all the time....tell him he needs a new one cause this ones not working.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:06 PM

He'll refute with "IF I WAS THE ONLY ONE USING THE COMPUTER THIS bleep WOULDN'T HAPPEN" word for word.

#4 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:59 PM

Bump. this is imperative, help me out.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:14 PM

honesty is the best policy. Its just a video card, even if he yells at you, it will blow over in time. If I had a nickel for every time ive been yelled at, by my dad or someone else, id be a millionair, its just part of life.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:53 PM

Alright, we'll see how it goes. If I never post again, call 911

EDIT: Crisis averted, my friend just upgraded his old nVidia 6800 so I have a backup, even if it is slightly worse than the original my dad won't notice :D

Edited by sausage, 06 May 2011 - 10:22 PM.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:33 PM

"IF I WAS THE ONLY ONE USING THE COMPUTER THIS bleep WOULDN'T HAPPEN"

Not a totally true statement.

All components can and do wear out over time.
Though gaming will tend to age them quicker.

#8 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:17 PM

I know it's not true, but he never believes me because "his work computers run just fine"

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:20 PM

They have an IT Dept. to maintain them.

They do`t get gamed on. oops. Never mind. That last statement probably is`t a good idea. :whistle:

#10 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,733 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:55 PM

Best way to keep a computer operating properly in a work environment is to keep IT as far away from it as possible.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:16 PM

Best way to keep a computer operating properly in a work environment is to keep IT as far away from it as possible.

:hysterical:

Yea. But when it screw`s up you have someone to blame it on. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users