Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I worry about files that my antivirus cannot scan?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Phello

Phello

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

I recently used a custom scan that I made using Avast! Antivirus.
The scan went through and didn't find any viruses or problems but could not access some files.
What should I do? do I need to worry that these files are protecting viruses or anything?

I'll even put a picture of the results.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z382/Phellopia/Avastscanresults.jpg?t=1304725310

EDIT Moved to
AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods

Edited by boopme, 09 May 2011 - 07:37 PM.
Moved to

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:44 PM

I moved this,so that I hope someone else (Preferrably quietman7) sees this that may have more info.

I would think the Recycle Bin can be emptied.
The other is your IOLO AV
The last are Spybot files

All are password protected and cannot be scanned.

Perhaps you could explain the Custom scan.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Phello

Phello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:05 PM

Awesome thank you very much,
The custom scan I set up scans: all Hard Disks, System Drive, CD Rom and DVD drives, All Removable Media (which was none), Memory, Auto start programs (All Users), Interactive selection, Rootkits (full scan), All File Types, PUPs (Potentially unwanted programs), The Heuristics sensitivity is set to High, I selected "Test Whole Files", I selected follow links during scan, and all packer formats are set to be extracted while scanning.
I figured if there was anything to find that was one way of doing it. All it came up with was that it couldn't access those files.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,578 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

.cab and .zip files are packed archives. In this instance under user not system. Usually can't be scanned unless you insist that the AV unpacks, which may not be possible anyway because they belong to the application which made them.
When they get unpacked, they will be scanned automatically. That's not an issue for you, since you can clear the trash bin in the first place.
iolo... I don't know. If it really is an antivirus, ooops, you're using two AV products, not a good idea.
Spybot S&D files are also zip and usually AV products skip. Leave them alone, since it looks like the recovery data is there. You don't need to run S&D once you have a good antivirus like Avast.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,901 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:43 AM

"Object is locked skipped", "Access Denied", "Password Protected" or "Encrypted" notations in an anti-virus/anti-malware scan are not uncommon. Some files and services are locked by the operating system or running programs during use for protection, so scanners cannot access them. Other legitimate files, especially those used by security programs, may be obfuscated, encrypted or password protected in order to conceal itself so they do not allow access. When the scanner finds such an object, it makes a note and then just skips to the next one. That explains why it may show with such notations but no action taken in certain anti-virus or anti-malware log scan reports. These are normal when using many security scanning programs so there is seldom a need for concern.

Note: It is not unusual for an anti-virus or anti-malware scanner to be suspicious of some compressed, archived, .cab and packed files because they have difficulty reading what is inside them. These kind of files often trigger alerts by security software using heuristic detection because they are resistant to scanning (difficult to read). This resistance may result in some scanners to stall (hang) on these particular types of files or even ignore (skip) them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Phello

Phello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

Thank you for the help!

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,901 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:46 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users