Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bugs in Vista, Want to reformat drive and install 7

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 SSChiro

SSChiro

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

I have Vista currently installed on a laptop. There are viruses and malware. Can I Backup Vista (which I have a complete backup running now), reformat the drive, and then install Windows 7?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:21 PM

If you have Windows 7 DVD, why not?
If the laptop runs Vista just fine, it should be good enough for Win 7.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:33 PM

......Can I Backup Vista (which I have a complete backup running now), reformat the drive, and then install Windows 7?

What Broni said.

But am unsure why you would want to bother backing up a known infected install. :unsure:

#4 SSChiro

SSChiro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:54 PM

Honestly I am doing this for a friend (who barely know how to turn a computer on) and will admit that I'm not quite sure of what I'm doing.

I am backing up to save an Itunes library of 30+GB and to make sure I have the correct printer drivers and dongle connection drivers.
I found a vundo trojan and MyWeb mess when I ran Malware bytes but don't know really how to remove them. My friend asked if I could go ahead and install win 7 and I thought that maybe just reformatting the drive was the best option.
I am currently researching the best reformatting as Vista doesn't look like it's particularly easy to uninstall.
Suggestions?

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:00 PM

Your options depend on what disk your friend have available.
BTW, you can't uninstall operating system (Vista). You can only reinstall it, or install different one.

Your other option would be....

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#6 SSChiro

SSChiro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:06 PM

Thank you.
I did post yesterday and never received an answer. I do understand the moderators are busy and thought that maybe reformatting was the path of least resistance.
I attached the 'Attach.txt' and posted the DDS log. Gmer crashed the system once and though I got it to run again, I couldn't get it to save and had to hard kill to get it to stop.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:09 PM

They ARE busy. It may take couple of days for them to reply.

My Website

#8 SSChiro

SSChiro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:10 PM

The disk I have just says Windows 7 Home Premium. I can't figure out if this is appropriate after reformatting or if I need to get the original Vista installation disk.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:13 PM

Reformatting is an option but up to you and your friend for the final decision.

Just be very careful in what is backed-up\saved then transferred to the fresh install. It would be all to easy to reinfect it if not careful.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:15 PM

Do you have a license # (product #) for it.
If so, clean installation shouldn't be a problem.
Since that computer is infected, make sure, you perform CLEAN installation, not an upgrade.
Manual: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm

My Website

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:16 PM

Just be very careful in what is backed-up\saved then transferred to the fresh install. It would be all to easy to reinfect it if not careful.

Absolutely!

My Website

#12 SSChiro

SSChiro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

I am putting the backup on an external drive and was expecting that I could just copy individual folders or files from the external drive once I have a clean machine.
Is that an unrealistic expectation? I haven't done this bit before. My friend doesn't believe he needs anything on the laptop. I just wanted to save all the music. He and I could both be idiots, we never know :). I certainly don't want to reinfect the machine once cleaned. That would kinda defeat the purpose.

#13 SSChiro

SSChiro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:37 PM

Thank you Broni. That link is very useful.
Suggestions on what program to use for reformatting?

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:39 PM

Yes, you can do it, but only if you observe some rules.

When you have Windows reinstalled, updated, firewall on and some AV program up, then install the following on your clean computer to prevent anything from jumping from external drive to your clean Windows installation.

Download, and run Flash Disinfector, and save it to your desktop (Windows Vista and Windows 7 users, scroll down)

*Please disable any AV / ScriptBlockers as they might detect Flash Disinfector to be malicious and block it. Hence, the failure in executing. You can enable them back after the cleaning process*

• Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 users
Flash Disinfector is not compatible with the above Windows version.
Please, use Panda USB Vaccine

THEN, scan entire external drive with your AV program BEFORE moving anything from that drive out.

My Website

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:40 PM

Suggestions on what program to use for reformatting?

You boot from Windows 7 DVD and it'll format the drive for you.
Just read at that link.

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users