Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Instances Of Ie

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 novice1

novice1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 06:08 PM

Hello, thank you for hosting this forum!
I used to be able to click on the IE icon and open multiple instances/internet windows.
I am no longer able to do so. I searched (googled this problem) and found a discussion board (old - 2002) that might point to BHO as the root of the problem, but I am not experienced enough to know how to disable a BHO.
I would copy and paste the advice given by one savvy BHO techie, but I need to copy to a word doc, then copy & paste here, since opening another IE window results in overriding this one.
I use XP Professional.
I recently installed Adobe Acrobat version 7, which includes a speed launch.
I use Webroot for spyware protection, and recently upgraded Webroot to the newest version.
I am not sure if the mulitple instance ability was working at the time I updated Webroot/installed Adobe.
I will search for the BHO info and post shortly.
Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 novice1

novice1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 06:23 PM

Hello, thank you for hosting this forum!
I used to be able to click on the IE icon and open multiple instances/internet windows.
I am no longer able to do so. I searched (googled this problem) and found a discussion board (old - 2002) that might point to BHO as the root of the problem, but I am not experienced enough to know how to disable a BHO.
I would copy and paste the advice given by one savvy BHO techie, but I need to copy to a word doc, then copy & paste here, since opening another IE window results in overriding this one.
I use XP Professional.
I recently installed Adobe Acrobat version 7, which includes a speed launch.
I use Webroot for spyware protection, and recently upgraded Webroot to the newest version.
I am not sure if the mulitple instance ability was working at the time I updated Webroot/installed Adobe.
I will search for the BHO info and post shortly.
Thanks for your help!

Here is what I found in a google search from 2002:

"Request for Answer Clarification by edwardj51-ga on 12 May 2002 15:07 PDT
If my IE6 installation was functioning normally, I would be able to
click the Internet Explorer icon, say, 3 times to bring up 3 windows.
My question is 1) why did this capability go away? and 2) How do I
get it back?"

edwardj51-ga:
I ran a search against Google Groups and found someone with exactly
the problem you are experiencing. The link (and piece of software
mentioned in it) should fix your problem. I've used the program myself
and it works.
[url="http://groups.google.com/groups?q=unable+to+start+multiple+windows++ie6&hl=en&selm=7dfb01c1bc8f%24b018b900%2419ef2ecf%40tkmsftngxa01&rnum=5""]http://groups.google.com/groups?q=unable+t...01&rnum=5"[/url]

THIS LINK TAKES YOU TO THE BHO realm...Webroot is one of the programs in this link.

PS: later reply from the original requestor:

"Subject: Re: Internet Explorer - multiple instances
I ASKED THE ORIGINAL QUESTION. The problem is now solved. What I did
was eliminate a program called "POP_UP_STOPPER" from the startup list.
Thanks for all the help.

I can't imagine just using one IE session. I'd get bored and not much
work done."
==================================
Hope this discussion above helps.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users