Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resize Partition

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CarloBenno

CarloBenno

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:49 PM

Hi people,

This is my first post on this forum so please bear with me!

My question is:
I have a new notebook and I have used windows bit-locker on the C drive. My notebook didn't come with a TPM chip so I used a work around to get it working by using a flash drive with the keys installed on it, so I just plug the stick in at the boot process for everything to load up successfully.

However Ive installed VMware and its taken up a lot of space on drive C. what I want to do now is allocate some of the free space on the D: drive to the C drive, if that makes sense?

Just to clarify my D: drive has no bit-locker encryption on it, but my C: drive does.

Want I want to know is can i just use a partition tool to give the C drive some more space or will this cause problems as its using the bit-locker software?

Also if I can do this, whats the best partition tool to use?

Many thanks in advance,

Carlo.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:48 AM

I have no clue as to what the final result is supposed to be...but it seems to me that simply moving appropriate data files is much simpler in overall impact...than resizing a partition.

Louis

#3 CarloBenno

CarloBenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:50 AM

ok thanks for getting back to me,

I will try to explain this a bit better.

Its a new notebook. No data is on drive D:

The only data on drive C: is a Virtual Machine (VMware).

I can not move the VM to drive D: - This will cause issues.

All I want to know is...

If I use a partition tool to move some free space from D: partition to C: partition will it cause any problems as the C: drive is set up for windows bit-locker and the D: drive isn't.

Cheers,
Carlo.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:55 AM

Well...you have a laptop, which means that any secondary partition...is likely to be needed to restore to factory defaults or something important...otherwise, the manufacturer would not have created it.

I would look in my owner's manual...see what that partition is for...and determine if it's involved in my future successful use of that laptop...before fooling with it.

If I have installation discs (not recovery/restore disks) that allow me to reinstall Windows minus said partition...I would modify said partition.

If I don't have such installations discs...I would forget about any resizing or other use.

Note: Notebooks and their repair mechanisms...vary by manufacturer and model...and are not necessarily geared towards anything more than a restore to factory defaults as the sole "repair" option.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users