Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer powers on then off

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 linny32

linny32

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:06 PM

Hello,

Whenever I try to turn my computer on it powers on for about 10 or 15 seconds then it powers off. It just keeps doing this over and over. A few weeks ago it was giving me an error telling me that I am overclocking it. But this can not be because I have never done that. I had a forum in the windows 7 software but they told me to start one in here. I am not sure what is causing this. Any help will be amazing! Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lkegley9

lkegley9

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

First of all, does the computer get into the OS or does it crash before hand?

I want to know, but either way though, try these.

Try a known good power supply with all of the proper connections (12V CPU, 24 or 20 motherboard power, SATA/Molex for your hard drive), and that should cover it. Really all you need is a CPU plug and a mainboard plug to actually boot. But in order to get into your OS, you will need your hard drive plugged in.

Also, if you don't have a power supply in near reach, go down to absolute basics. One stick of RAM, CPU plug, motherboard plug, and your hard drive plug. If it still does it, unplug the drive and see if it stays running.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:31 PM

Try the above then post back with your results.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:00 PM

Whats the make/model of the system?

If its a laptop it might not be easy to try another power supply, although thats a very good suggestion.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 linny32

linny32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:42 PM

All right I will try those steps.

And to answer some of the questions. No it never boots in to the OS. Whenever it powers on the screen just stays black then it shuts back off. Then it repeats the process. The computer is a desktop that I built. It ran great with no problems for 4 or 5 months then it started doing this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users