Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC turning itself off in the middle of games

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 TheDudeWithTude

TheDudeWithTude

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:59 PM

Alright, so I usually play games like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, San Andreas: Multiplayer, and the like. Recently, my computer has started to actually turn itself off on its own. It will first mute itself and freeze, and then the monitor will turn off, and then it will turn off. I think it may have to do with my power cord coming loose, but I want to disable this auto-turnoff function. My system specifications are as follows(Yes, I know my computer sucks):

Hewlett-Packard Compaq 6715b
Windows XP Professional
895MB RAM
1.6GHz Processor (2CPU)

Any help? I'm getting sick and tired of being banned from SAMP servers because they think I'm disconnecting to avoid getting arrested, when its really this piece of crap turning off.

Edited by hamluis, 06 May 2011 - 01:44 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

If life gets you down, start tunneling, you might find some juicy dirt on others.

When life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice into the other persons eyes!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:02 PM

I think it may have to do with my power cord coming loose

What does make you think so?
Did you try different power cable?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:17 PM

Is it getting hot?
Feel the airflow on the power supply.
It shold be a little warm but not hot.

Pop the case & make sure that all the fans are spinning.
Clean all vents, the cpu cooling fan and the heat sink with a little compressed air and a small brush.
While you are in there, reseat all cables and power leads in case something might be loose.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 TheDudeWithTude

TheDudeWithTude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:36 PM

I think it may have to do with my power cord coming loose

What does make you think so?
Did you try different power cable?

1. I don't have a spare
2. I know it is because it's always coming loose and if its not in the PERFECT spot, I don't get power. I just want to disable this auto-turnoff.

Is it getting hot?
Feel the airflow on the power supply.
It shold be a little warm but not hot.

Pop the case & make sure that all the fans are spinning.
Clean all vents, the cpu cooling fan and the heat sink with a little compressed air and a small brush.
While you are in there, reseat all cables and power leads in case something might be loose.

Sorry but I don't know anything about hardware, and I'm afraid that if I tried I'd probably screw something up OR just as bad forget how to put it back together.
If life gets you down, start tunneling, you might find some juicy dirt on others.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:37 PM

I know it is because it's always coming loose and if its not in the PERFECT spot, I don't get power. I just want to disable this auto-turnoff.

Well, the latter doesn't make any sense until you fix cable issue.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#6 TheDudeWithTude

TheDudeWithTude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:39 PM

I know it is because it's always coming loose and if its not in the PERFECT spot, I don't get power. I just want to disable this auto-turnoff.

Well, the latter doesn't make any sense until you fix cable issue.

I just want it to NOT turn off if the power comes loose while playing a game. When I unplug it during web browsing this doesn't ocur, but of all times, it happens when I'm playing a game.

Is there any way I can do this?

Edited by TheDudeWithTude, 06 May 2011 - 03:40 PM.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:42 PM

It looks like you want some miracle to happen...
If a power cord gets lose, there is no power, so how come would you expect your computer to be functioning?

My Website

#8 TheDudeWithTude

TheDudeWithTude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:52 PM

It looks like you want some miracle to happen...
If a power cord gets lose, there is no power, so how come would you expect your computer to be functioning?

I'm on a laptop. With a fully-charged battery.

I said I was on a Compaq 6715b. A laptop.

Tell me, how do you expect there to be no power when there's a fully-charged battery?

Edited by TheDudeWithTude, 06 May 2011 - 03:53 PM.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:56 PM

Well, since you don't provide enough info ("hey, this is a laptop"), BleepingComputer doesn't provide enough funds for us to buy crystal balls...
Just joking....

Did you try to play the game using just battery to see, if same thing happens?

My Website

#10 HardKoreZ

HardKoreZ

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:31 AM

Sounds like his battery may be loose? Check and make sure its snuggly fit in there or check the pins make sure there aint any junk or dust etc on them, maybe use an air can on it?

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:05 AM

It could be when your gaming the power runs out quickly.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#12 Dwarf

Dwarf

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:46 AM

Laptops aren't really designed for gaming. They're more suited to running Office (including Internet and Email) applications. True, they can also be used for gaming, but due to their physical construction they are only suitable for playing games that are not resource intensive. Even so, when playing these games the temperature of the laptop will rise when compared to the temperature when running office applications. I suspect that this is a temperature issue, and that your laptop is just getting too hot. Does it feel hot to the touch, particularly around the vents and on the underneath?

#13 TheDudeWithTude

TheDudeWithTude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:58 PM

Well, since you don't provide enough info ("hey, this is a laptop"), BleepingComputer doesn't provide enough funds for us to buy crystal balls...
Just joking....

Did you try to play the game using just battery to see, if same thing happens?

Yes, and it played fine.

Sounds like his battery may be loose? Check and make sure its snuggly fit in there or check the pins make sure there aint any junk or dust etc on them, maybe use an air can on it?

No, its in there tight.

It could be when your gaming the power runs out quickly.

No, it takes literally 10 seconds for it to go from gaming to completely off, and I'm not running something graphics-intensive.

#14 TheDudeWithTude

TheDudeWithTude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

Laptops aren't really designed for gaming. They're more suited to running Office (including Internet and Email) applications. True, they can also be used for gaming, but due to their physical construction they are only suitable for playing games that are not resource intensive. Even so, when playing these games the temperature of the laptop will rise when compared to the temperature when running office applications. I suspect that this is a temperature issue, and that your laptop is just getting too hot. Does it feel hot to the touch, particularly around the vents and on the underneath?

Yes but I know its a problem with the power cord. When the power cord is removed, the screen gets darker because I have it set to low brightness when no outlet power is available. Before it turns off, the screen gets dark.

I don't want to remove/replace/fix anything hardware-wise, I just want to find some sort of setting that will not have it turn off automatically when I'm attempting to play something and the cord slips out.

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:41 PM

Yes, and it played fine.

That clearly means, that when power cord is plugged in and it gets lose, it causes some short-like effect, which causes the laptop to shut down.
You have to fix power cord issue. End of the story.

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users