Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Saving Two System Images in Win7/64 HmPrem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chrischris

chrischris

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:11 PM

I ordinarily save a system image (~34GB) every two weeks to an external (160GB) HD. The "30% default rule" means I can save only one image on that drive (the "most recent", and that's overwritten by the new one)...I'd rather save the last two images (new plus that of two weeks ago). Because I've had a lot of problems getting Windows Backup&Restore to work correctly, I'm leery of changing a lot of settings around....is there something simple I can do to save the most recent two images? Thnx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:26 PM

Yes, you can change the percentage of the drive Windows can use for previous images.

With your external HDD plugged in, at the Start Menu, type sysdm.cpl and hit Enter > System Protection tab > under Protection Settings > click the external hard drive (whatever letter is assigned to it) > Configure > move the slider to the percentage (and corresponding amount) of space you want to use for "system protection" (i.e. how much space can be used for the SystemVolumeInformation folder) > Apply > OK > OK.

You can do the same thing for your C: drive, too, except it will be for System Restore instead of Backup and Restore.

Btw, you can't specify for Backup and Restore to save x number of images, only the last one or as many as will fit in the percentage allocated for "system protection" as outlined above.

Does that make sense?

Feel free to ask questions. :)
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 chrischris

chrischris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:34 PM

Ninja....that's exactly what I want to do, change 30% to maybe 50% on J. BUT, what bullet "Restore Setting" do I use? I usually "turn off system restore" on J since I don't want to save system restore points/images for the J drive (I want system restore points for C). It's not obvious to me that the J slider pertains to how much space I want on J to save for images of C (I usually have the J slider set near 0, and I still get a 34GB image of C on J. I always thought that the J slider was for setting space on J for J backup/images. In other words, I think the J slider is for something else. Or am I wrong?

Edited by chrischris, 06 May 2011 - 02:37 PM.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:10 PM

what bullet "Restore Setting" do I use? I usually "turn off system restore" on J since I don't want to save system restore points/images for the J drive (I want system restore points for C).

You have the right idea. For the external, you should dot the bullet labeled "Turn off system protection". This disables system restore for what is on the external drive. The slider dictates how much space can be used for Backup (which is good) AND System Restore (but we're keeping that turned off on the external).

Here is what your settings should look like:

Posted Image

Notice how the max usage in System Protection (on the left) carries over to how much space Backup can use for previous images (on the right).

For the C: drive, this is what you want (assuming you want to use System Restore):

Posted Image

So, Turn off system protection for the external, set the slider to however much it needs to be, and Let Windows manage the space used for backup history (maximum ##.##GB).

Got it? :)

#5 chrischris

chrischris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

Ninja...nope, doesn't work. My new image overwrote my old one, so all I have is the latest one. See my attached input. Notice how your Manage Space looks different from mine (I got there from Control Panel>B&R>Manage space).

Attached Files

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:23 PM

Yeah, I see that. But notice how it says "System images are not being created automatically..."? Change your settings to Backup automatically and see if that changes anything. Your options should be the same as mine, but the only difference I can see is you're not set to backup automatically.

#7 chrischris

chrischris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:36 PM

Ninja.....makes no difference whatsoever...I have no screen that looks like yours. Win 7/64 HomePremium Help shows the attached: last paragraph says I can choose to save older images or most recent, but I get choice of most recent or none. I think it's the 30% limit causing that because I can only fit one 32 GB image on a 160 x .3 = 48 ext HD . How can I change the 30% to a 50%? Thru the registry?

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users