Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screening after WIndows Updates

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Israfel

Israfel

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:28 AM

Hi, I just recently had to reinstall windows on my computer with an installation CD after my recovery partition had become corrupted. Anyways, after restoring Windows7, the computer was running fine and seemed to have no problems what so ever. I than downloaded all my usual software before updating, such as Firefox, Malwarebytes, Rkill, Avira and Spybot. No problems what soever downloading and installing all of those. However going to do windows updates that the computer now thinks it is a year or two behind on it blue screens when it begins installing them. I tried rebooting in safemode with networking to try and download the updates and they downloaded and installed with no problem except for the few that required to restart the computer, upon restarting the computer it makes it to 30% installing updates and blue screens again and restarts me to system restore and I have to restore to before installing the updates and I am right back to square one. I know this isn't exactly a virus question as I doubt Microsoft is realizing viruses in their updates, but I am shooting my luck as every tech has suggested I just reinstall windows which would make this the 4th Win7 installation on this computer, so naturally I am beginning to think installing windows 7 isn't my problem here. This is my system info.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name Home PC
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 537
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Celeron® CPU 450 @ 2.20GHz, 2194 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A03, 7/23/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name Home-PC\Home
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.79 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.57 GB
Page File Space 4.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:10 AM

What updates are you installing?

Are you trying to install a large number at one time without rebooting between these?

Do you have SP1 installed yet?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Israfel

Israfel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

It is just basic updates for all windows 64 based operating systems. I have tried installing in large amount. Small amounts, and one by one, with rebooting, or attempted rebooting if given the chance but all lead to blue screen either beginning to install said update or updates, or when needing to reboot to finishing installing. I am not installing all of these but this is the list with details since I don't know how to copy the update name without the details included (sorry its so long). Also, yes I have SP1 If it helps any, the blue screen error message was IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL.
STOP 0x0000000A (0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFF80002CA0A83)

Edited by Israfel, 06 May 2011 - 07:14 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:05 AM

That's way too much information. My brain turned to mush trying to read that.

Please download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Another concern is the health of the hdd. If you can find out the manufacturer you can go to their web site and download their diagnostic tool. Most of these download a ISO file which you can burn a bootable CD from.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Israfel

Israfel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:20 AM

After repartitioning my HDD 4 times to reinstall windows improperly, I am sure its health may be a huge factor so I am sure I can browse samsung and use an ISO mounter to launch the file.
But here is the attachment

Attached Files

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:58 AM

Try using this link for the diagnostic tool.

One thing that you can do now is to run a chkdsk /f/r.

Let us know what you find.

Edit: Please edit your third post as we don't need all of that information.

The only update that is really important at this time is the SP1. This should be downloaded separately then followed by a reboot. But let's run the scans first.

Edited by dc3, 07 May 2011 - 09:41 AM.

#7 Israfel

Israfel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

I can't seem to find any CD's to use currently, and I am sorry to go off topic to solve this issue, but is there anyways I can move this ISO to a USB drive and make it bootable. I have tried unetbootin and a windows 7 program to make USB bootable from an ISO image and none of them seem to work. Sorry if this causes further inconvenience.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:27 PM

The first question is does your BIOS support booting from a USB device?

#9 Israfel

Israfel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:09 AM

Yes it does, I used it to install the dell recovery partition from a Sony PSP connected via USB

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:40 AM

This article explains several different techniques for booting from a flash drive.

You can't get a or borrow a CD from a friend?

#11 cferr

cferr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:32 PM

Please post the most recent 2-3 files that is in %windir%\minidump on the crashing system's hard drive. I will run them through windbg and see if I can find anything.

#12 Israfel

Israfel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:37 PM

I have failed at booting from USB, I am guessing it has to do with the software doesnt work with USB booting since the closest I got was needing a floppy, which my computer doesnt have a drive for. So as of now, I am stuck hoping someone I have left messages for can bring me a CD.

As for the last 3 mini dump, the site tells me I am not allowed to upload this kind of file.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:47 AM

Did you change the boot order in the BIOS to make the USB flash drive the first device in the boot order?

#14 Israfel

Israfel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:55 AM

I used F2 to change the boot order to the USB containing the "Sony PSP" and it just loaded a black screen. I than tried to load by pressing F12 to bring up the boot options and booted from the "Sony PSP" as well and ended in the same result, a black screen.

#15 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

Sorry if I missed something. Make sure you time is set correctly in your bios. If the update see's the time is way off it will not download and install correctly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users