Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I.E. two versions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 incalad

incalad

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:48 AM

hi all, my new computer is now over a week old and after a nightmare first few days it seems to have

settled down. my query is why is there 2 internet explorers on ? (one is 64 bit) and could this be causing a conflict ?

ive had to re-install windows 7 twice but it seems okay now. when it was brand new l set up first with aol (my server)

then installed firefox 4 and avast anti virus, l lost both of those when l re-installed 7 and have not re-installed either,

l now only have AVG anti-virus running. can anyone explain the reason for the two I.E.'s on the computer ?

thanks in advance, joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:46 AM

Windows 7 64-bit comes with both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Internet Explorer.

By default, IE8 32-bit automatically runs when you start the browser from any one of the following locations:

• The Quick Launch toolbar
  • The desktop
  • The Start menu
  • A hyperlink or a file type that is associated with Internet Explorer.
The main difference between the two is that IE8 64-bit only runs native 64-bit ActiveX controls, and IE8 32-bit only runs native 32-bit ActiveX controls. This means that plugins like Flash that are 32-bit will only work in the 32-bit Internet Explorer.

To see if you are running the 64-bit version open Internet Explorer and click on help. The version running will appear on the version line.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 incalad

incalad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

thank you for that information, and the prompt reply,

l,m a bit clearer now as to whats happening,

joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic