Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beep Codes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 carinsharon

carinsharon

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:48 PM

I just built a new computer. It has the MSI motherboard (H61M-P23 B3). When I reboot and the computer starts back up there is 6 light beeps and one loud beep. I read in another forum that the 6 light beeps are the computer reading the USB ports that are in use. Is this true? I just need to make sure that the computer is running ok and no problems with it. This new windows 7 64 bit is totally different from XP Pro that I was using and I'm still playing around with it to figure things out...

Thanks for any help you can give me
CarinSharon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:07 AM

Well first lets get your MSI support pages in this thread so everyone knows what product we are working with here.

H61M-P23 B3 support link

H61M-P23 B3 support link for DOWNLOADS

I have a copy of your owners manual on my desktop, please allow me a few minutes to read through it and I will give you a safe correct answer to your questions, I always like to be safe and accurate than to be incorrect and sorry. :wink:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:45 AM

Incidentally, is there any way you can tell me who your BIOS vendor is for this particular motherboard?

That would help me be 100% accurate with this motherboard's POST codes, its one of the following possibilities, its either AMI or Award BIOS.

Each has its own set of beep codes.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:24 AM

My husband thinks it is Award Bios...I tried to get into the bios to see what it is but I can't get in there...My husband tried too but he is having the same problem. Is there a trick to it in this windows 7 pro? We have tried F1 but that doesn't work. It takes me into a memory diagnostics. And hitting the DEL key doesn't work either.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:33 AM

When booting up the computer just after the first POST beep and just before the Windows splash screen would appear, repeatedly press the DELETE key on the keyboard.

This should boot you into the system BIOS setup utility, it is here you can identify who the BIOS vendor is.

Hope this helps.

Bruce.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:37 AM

If that does not work than try the F2 during the POST, either way, sometimes you have to tap the correct key repeatedly to get it to go there and your timing has to be correct, otherwise it will just boot into windows.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 06 May 2011 - 09:37 AM.

#7 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:25 PM

Thats what I was doing was hitting the del key repeatedly and it still booted up to windows...Will try again after while...As for the Bios it is Award Bios on the motherboard...

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:10 PM

Sadly we tend to forget, or at least I did, that the support site I needed to have access to is in Japan and is currently not available. :(

Bruce.

#9 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:28 PM

Well, I think I answered the question about the beep codes myself. I installed a video card today and when I hooked the computer back up to install the drivers for it I had the bare minimum of usb ports being used...Which was 2....and when I booted up I only had 2 light beeps and one loud one...After I got the drivers installed I plugged in all the other usb devices that I use and it went up to 6 light beeps (which is the amount of usb ports I have in use) and one loud beep...

Now I have another problem which I need to get solved pretty fast. This windows 7 pro does not use flash player and i'm going to need it as I do tutorials for embroidery machines. Is there a work around it??? I have tried opening up the windows 32 bit and its still not working. When I went to the adobe site to download flash player I got told there was none for 64 bit. They do have a beta and i did try downloading it but it didn't do any good...What can I do???

#10 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:31 PM

I forgot something...How can I download flash player for 32 bit when the adobe site won't even let me do that? Also how do I install it into the 32 bit side of windows? That is if I can download it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users