Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing programs from Open With menu

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

I was asked to start a new topic for this problem after the original topic was moved to the malware removal forum. On my Gateway laptop, Netscape and Word appear in the Open With menu that appears if I open an unrecognized file type. Since these programs are no longer installed, I would like to remove them from this menu. How can I do this?
Also, HijackThis found a running Netscape service:
O12 - Plugin for .exe: C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
I want to remove this as well. The full log can be seen in post 26 of the other topic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

I did some digging when I was helping you earlier and I dont think that there is an easy way to remove items from the open with menu.

I though that TweakUI might do it but it doesnt.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:22 PM

Removing those Open with menu items can be a long process by searching the registry. I would suggest a mild registry cleaner but I'm not allowed to on here.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:45 PM

A possible fix. Keeping in mind I have no way of providing a step by step method. Or if it is possible or will even work.
I do recall the ODBC icon in control panel of Win 98 PCs. Never had cause to look into just what it was.

Use at your own risk.

Remove it from your ODBC data sources in the control panel, this will take it out of the "open with" selections.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

Good thought ThunderZ & I just checked it out in 98.
I always thought that the ODBC icon was for Office apps to share data.
My 98 does not have Office installed yet Office programs do show up in ODBC.

I created a notepad document and made note of the open with items associated with it.
None of these appear in ODBC.

I think it will be more trouble than its worth to remove these entries from the open with list.

Edited by Eyesee, 06 May 2011 - 03:31 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:34 PM

I think it will be more trouble than its worth to remove these entries from the open with list.

Got lucky finding that little tid-bit of info. Was pretty buried.

Am in agreement though on the trouble of doing it vs. the potential return for the effort.

#7 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:37 PM

The affected file types don't exist in the ODBC window.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:45 PM

Then my last idea is a manual search of the registry for related entries.

Agin. No guarantee, very tedious, and could break somethng.

#9 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:52 PM

I'll try it. It's about time to reinstall Windows on this computer anyway, and it looks like I will need to buy a Windows 98 CD for my other computer.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:09 PM

Please try this and please let me know if this worked, it's been a while since I've used Windows 98 or Windows 98 SE, but if I remember correctly this is how I did it.

If you have applications listed that have been uninstalled then you can go to Explorer/View/Folder Options/File Types, single click on the program to highlight it and then click on the remove button.

If I do not reply to this topic within 24 hours please Pm me.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:40 PM

That doesn't remove a program from the Open With menu. It simply removes that file type's association with another program.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:28 PM

Hmmm? I know it involves a registry weak, but since I do not currently have a hard drive available to install Win 98 on to experiment I am at a loss here.

I know I did exactly as your talking about back in 1999 when I still had Windows 98 SE, but which key I edited back then I can not remember well enough to offer you that information with out it causing possible registry corruption.

Sorry about that, guess I became too dependent on Windows XP and Windows 7.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 08 May 2011 - 11:09 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#13 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:52 PM

I was able to get .doc files to open the Open With window instead of giving me a message saying that Windows couldn't find winword.exe using those steps, but there are many programs in the Open With menu that were uninstalled by simply deleting the files related to the program instead of running the uninstall program.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:20 PM

Yeah the trouble with just deleting the programs that way leaves many traces of the deleted programs still left in the registry.

I am not saying all programs clean up after them selves during the uninstall procedure, but the majority of them do.

I do not think using a registry cleaner is advisable, besides not many current ones work with windows 98 that I am aware of, but then on the other hand, I never was much for using those programs after I learned how to safely edit the registry myself.

We actually do not recommend using those here at BC in the first place for the reasons that no program can actually know what is good or bad to remove.

If anything, I sometimes use CCleaner just to see what registry errors it does find and if I feel the error does need correcting, I'll back up the registry first, then I'll delete the key and see what happens.

I wish I could remember how I did it back in the day, but it has been some 12 years since I last had Windows 98 or ME installed.

I do still own those Win 98/Win ME installation disks though.

Bruce.

#15 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:56 AM

I am also trying to figure out how to remove UN-NEEDED entries from OPEN WITH!!

Where in the registry are these entries kept??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users