Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing New Hard Drive-w/old Dead Hd As Slave

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 carressingbreeze

carressingbreeze

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 04:04 PM

2 HARDRIVES-(1) new (1) old w/information that I want to retrieve.

The old harddrive gave out i believe due to a virus and possible hijacking... I have a stupid HP Compaq, I hate the way the drives are set up inside. I bought a new hard drive- a Seagate 200GB made that one the master; and my original Matrix (or something like that) is a 80GB hard drive it is the slave(it has my music and writings on it, etc.).. I installed the hard drives and when I pressed on the power button, i get nothing... There is a black connector that has several wires to it, I traced the wires and 1 or 2 of them go to the exterior power button, this connection is not plugged in, & I can't see anywhere that it might plug into..

A technician told me that I would not infect my new hard drive by making my old dead HD (which I believe has a virus and may have been hijacked) the slave..

I thought that I might be able to access the old one by making it secondary to the new one....

How can I clean the old one (which i would keep installed (but as master) (without the new hard drive in) when I can't even get it to boot up... I realize that if possible this would be the first step, then I might be able to have the Windows XP Home operational again on the old one and could retrieve the files that I need to have... And I would like to have a second hard drive exclusively for music and perhaps video work.

I apologize if I have more than 1 issue I am requesting advice/guidance on in 1 post, but the issues are related (maybe).

Thank you in advance for help!!! I am truely a novice when it comes to hardware...

~Your Life is a Manifestation of Your Dream - It is an Art. Intent is Life Itself - Unconditional Love...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:36 PM

Since you've had no replies I'll bite on this one -

What is the exact model of the "stupid HP Compaq" you have?

There is a black connector that has several wires to it, I traced the wires and 1 or 2 of them go to the exterior power button, this connection is not plugged in, & I can't see anywhere that it might plug into..

This sounds like an older style power switch. CAUTION there may be mains voltages on some of those wires! You did not unplug this connector? Can you think of a cause for it having come unplugged? Has this PC been upraded at any time?

I would not infect my new hard drive.....

That really depends on how, and what, you accessed the old hard drive. I think it's distinctly possible you could re-infect your PC. To save the data on your old hard drive I suggest you first install and update a good anti-virus program, a firewall and several anti-spyware programs on your new drive. I'd recommend AVG Free, Sygate Personal firewall, AdAware SE, Spybot S&D, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite, SpywareBlaster See the BC compendium of Recommended Freeware for other choices.

Then connect your old drive as a slave and scan it with everything in Safe Mode.

BUT first get your PC functional:

You installed the new drive as Master, has the PC run since then? If not you will have to put the old drive back as master to check there is no physical problem. Does the IDE cable that connects to the hard drives have different coloured connectors? If so the Master drive must go on the end connector (black) and the Slave goes on the middle connector (grey).

Are you intending to do a clean installation of Windows on the new drive?

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 carressingbreeze

carressingbreeze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:46 AM

[color=#333399][size=3]Rimmer (hth) thank you so much for answering my post... I really do appreciate it...

The HP Compaq is Compaq Presario 5330US... The system is comprised of 80GB UltraDMA Hard drive, Intel Pentium 4 Processor 1.7GHZ; 512MB SyncDram Total System Memory...

And i just thought of something - The old hard drive is a 80GB UltraDMA will it work in conjunction with the new drive which is a Seagate200GB UltraATA/100 drive? DMA<>ATA????
and.........
Will I be able to access the whole 200GB or just like 100-133GB of it?

(A) I do not recall unplugging this connector. The only cause for it to be so is this guy that wanted to date me said he probably could get my old hard drive up, that didn't happen, so i had a few other drives that he tried to bring online, and that didn't work either. Perhaps he unplugged the power connector. I guess I could IM him and ask him about it. (kinda wanted to avoid that). And the PC has not been upgraded, that is what I have been trying to do but only by installing a NEW hard drive.

(:thumbsup: I have not been able to access my old hard drive yet... It came up blank when I only had it in the computer..

(1) The first thing I was going to do upon hard and soft installation of my new hard drive was install my Panda Titan 2005 (anti-virus and firewall) (which is constantly updated). (AdAware SE causing me to be open to viruses) And if you use other firewall and spyware programs then it causes Panda to not function or malfunction.

I haven't even gotten to the part of the soft installation of the NEW hard drive, the manual labor of fitting the thing in there with this other hard drive in these idiotic verticle piggy back frames was enough to make me cross-eyed.. man, you have to have midget hands or be a contortionist....

(2) Okay, so I will take out the old hard drive and just see if I can get the new hard drive up.. then if I can get that installed I will put the anti-everythings on it..

(2b) I am going to do a clean installation of Windows on the new drive for sure.. (when you say clean you mean from the CD right?)

then if that works out:

(3) I will install the Old hard drive as a slave (after the NEW drive is installed how do I soft install the OLD drive and let the system know there are two drives etc. it must know when i re-enter setup?) then I will scan it with all the anti-everythings in Safe Mode... {does Windows needs to be operational on the OLD drive for me to scan it with the anti-everythings? or not?} Will the OLD hard drive(slave) pick up the Windows running on the Master?
(I have never ran on two hard drives - how do I access only the slave?)

(4) Now for the IDE cable.. Yes the cable has different coloured connectors. It is connected as you and the Seagate instructions said: to plug the BLACK connector into the Master (new HD) and the GRAY connector going into the Slave (old HD) You should see the way this looks, the only way the two drives would fit in so the correct placement of the connectors are in place, is if one end of the cable overlaps the the other, so the cables are tweeked... And no, honest to God I'm not...lol

(5) On the OLD hard drive - if I don't install it as a slave
I don't know how I would be able to install for instance my Panda Titan 2005 (which is constantly updated) or any other programs when I don't get a C:/ when I power up the old hard drive... I get nothing, nada, blank screen. When I tried using a boot disk, it sees the A: drive, you are not able to change directories to the C: drive, and then when it decides to, it will say C: but it is only reading the A: drive... because C: drive would have all my programs on it, etc.

I'll take it all apart, I still don't know where the black power connector gets plugged in.. I wish that when one bought a computer they would come with a "Chilton's" manual - with a schematic diagram, mfg & model etc of the motherboard

Rimmer, have you ever been to Arizona in the winter time??? It is bliss... and lunch awaits...

thanks,
~martina
[/color=#333399][/size=3]
~Your Life is a Manifestation of Your Dream - It is an Art. Intent is Life Itself - Unconditional Love...

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 02:21 AM

HP/Compaq has a detailed tutorial on how to install a second hard drive here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...ocname=bph03429

- checking that out may answer many of your questions.

Ultra DMA/ Ultra ATA - Hmmm, I'll have to refresh my memory but yes basically they are the same (IDE) interface. Yep, a quick google confirms UltraATA/100=UltraDMA (Mode 5)

Will I be able to access the whole 200GB or just like 100-133GB of it?

That depends on the age of the BIOS and whether any upgrades are available.

(AdAware SE causing me to be open to viruses) And if you use other firewall and spyware programs then it causes Panda to not function or malfunction.

AdAwareSE is highly recommended as part of a layered anti-spyware protection we promote here at BC, it should have no effect on how open you were to viruses. Yes, you should use only 1 Anti-Virus program, 1 Firewall and many Anti-Spyware programs, supplemented by occasional online Anti-Virus scans.

when you say clean you mean from the CD right?

Yes, from Windows CD to a blank hard drive as opposed to a clone of your old system.

does Windows needs to be operational on the OLD drive for me to scan it with the anti-everythings?

No, as long as the drive is connected properly and has a formatted partition on it (it does) then Windows will see it and your anti-virus etc will be able to scan it.

I have never ran on two hard drives - how do I access only the slave?

You physically install the drive as a slave in your PC. Then you have to set the BIOS to detect that drive (Set Primary IDE Slave to 'Auto') - there's a good chance it will be already set that way but see the Compaq site to find out how to verify this. When that's all set you boot from the new drive which will be your C: drive. Look in 'My Computer' and you will see another drive listed (probably "D:") and that's your slave drive. When you want to scan just that with the anti-virus program do a selective scan and tick the D: drive.

I'd suggest you get your original drive back in operation to check it's okay - set the jumpers back to Master, connect it to the black IDE connector, connect the power cable and turn on. It should come straight up as before. Note while you are working inside the PC try to touch the metal part of the case as often as possible and dont wear synthetics - short sleeved cotton is best (but possibly chilly right now). Also you can run the drives outside the case - rest them on some non-conductive surface (e.g. a cardboard box) so the cables reach. This might make the whole process a little easier while you troubleshoot. When that's right disconnect it and install the new drive, on its own as a Master. Then boot from the Windows CD and install Windows. (Windows XP?) When that is all good then install your original drive as a Slave and do the virus and spyware tests. Hope you didn't have anything planned for the next couple of days?

you ever been to Arizona in the winter time??? It is bliss... and lunch awaits...

:thumbsup: Thanks for the offer, but it's a bit of a trip for me. :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 carressingbreeze

carressingbreeze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:51 AM

Rimmer - You are the Best! Thank you so much for your time and knowledge..

Man, If I didn't use my vacations for the Caribbean Islands this project would surely be on a Vacation calendar day or two or three... I will break it up into 3 sections, in the order you noted for the process, then it won't be so bad...

Thanks for the link, much appreciated.

I'll wear cotton, and at 75 degrees during the day I won't have to stoke any fire; and I'll remember keep tapping the metal...I think we got it down now.

Please note in case I attempt to milk your brain again, Nothing comes up on the OLD HARD DRIVE, so I hope that Panda is self-bootable.. if it isn't, do I install all of these programs you mentioned "AVG Free, Sygate Personal firewall, AdAware SE, Spybot S&D, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite, SpywareBlaster"?

With AVG Free (being the antivirus); Sygate-Firewall; and install all the rest as antispyware... Hmm, what about Ewido Security Suite (Firewall???)

I'm Glad You are on Here Rimmer.. Thanks Again !!!!!

Edited by carressingbreeze, 03 January 2006 - 05:51 AM.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:44 PM

Thank you so much for your time and knowledge..

It's always a pleasure to help people who are appreciative. :thumbsup:

Nothing comes up on the OLD HARD DRIVE

You cannot get access even in it's original configuration? That's not good news. It's not what I would have expected but it's beginning to sound like your old hard drive may be toast. :flowers:

I hope that Panda is self-bootable.

I don't know from personal experience but I doubt it. Since you are installing Windows on the new hard drive your Panda should just re-install like any other application so it shouldn't matter anyway.

do I install all of these programs you mentioned "AVG Free, Sygate Personal firewall, AdAware SE, Spybot S&D, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite, SpywareBlaster"?

Yes I'd recommend that, unless you get Panda installed in which case leave out the AVG and Sygate.

what about Ewido Security Suite (Firewall???)

No firewall, it's an anti-malware package strong on trojans. There may be more in the paid version which qualifies it for the title "security suite" but the free version that I'm referring to is 'just' anti-malware.

Let us know how you progress and Good Luck! :trumpet:

#7 carressingbreeze

carressingbreeze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:45 AM

OMG I need help! I removed the new and hard drives. and good thing! With them removed I could now see where the connector/wiring to the power button gets plugged into the motherboard... Cool, now the computer starts up....Okay, so then I only installed the OLD hard drive alone, as master, as suggested...

1st it says: NO IDE Fixed Disk present and up in the left top corner: 768 mb (i took out the extra mem so it would be exactly as before so it now reads 528mb) to continue: IDE Secondary 0 master boot record hard drive has changed press any key - update the mbr... when I go forward that doesn't work.. i go into SETUP: Removeable Media boot; Removeable Media Write; Primary IDE Controller; Secondary IDE Controller; and BIOS IDE DMA Transfers = ENABLE... Diskette MBR Validation= DISABLE.... (is this what is keeping me from being to update the mbr read below)??

BOOT ORDER: IDE CD-Rom Drive = 1st; Diskette A=2nd; USB Device=Third; Compaq Ethernet Controller=4th.... MASTER BOOT RECORD=DISABLE.... HARD DISK RESET=DISABLE

I PUT IN THE COMPAQ RECOVERY CD.. it goes to this RED screen flashing the words CALL YOU HP COMPAQ TECHNICIAN (THIS CD HAS HAS ONLY WORKED ONE TIME - ALLOWING ME TO DO A BACKUP-that's how you get to the backup program - u have to use this CD).. ANYWAY, SORRY... soooo.

I am not able to get to the C drive, the D drive(CDRom), the E drive (DVD drive) it just read something on the CD to tell me to go hang myself, and now it doesn't see the CDROM drive...I'm unable to do the FDSK /r for repair... i'm unable to get the PC Doctor that is hidden... (Man i have pages of notes, I have to be neater about taking them and put them in order) sooo now somehow I get it to see C: (when I went into "type config.sys" the volume in Drive C is MS-RAM Drive... With Autoexec.bat it says there is (1) File of 1,265 bytes (5-9-01) 0 dIR 1,862,656 bytes free...

I do a directory list - it pretty much has the basic foundation files there like chkdsk.exe (of course no WinXP or any of the other programs) I ran chkdsk,that didn't fix it or say anything much... except that i should do a scandisk, well that isn't listed in the C:\directory I typed C:\reboot.com

I put in the Windows XP Home CD in the CD Drive... Windows goes thru setup.. then it's says press R to recover a Windows Installation... I do this then it says: Setup didn't find any hard disk drives installed in your computer... (AND i was just looking at the directory of C: prior to the attempt to install WinXP)... I hit enter and i get "PXE-E61 MEDIA TEST FAILURE CHECK CABLE" (the cable to the hard drive is exactly as it should be - using the black connector)..I try this WINXP startup floppy to reboot.. now it comes up: 3072K Disk (2) sectors 64 Directory entries... CDROM 2 drives-Unit 1 = Master; Unit 2=Slave; Drive N=Drive IDEC (DVDdrive) DRIVE O= Driver IDEC (CD drive) then it doesn't read A:\ anymore...

so I put in the PANDA Titanium 2005 in CD Drive (AT THE O:\ I TYPE DIR/W and it reads the directories and files in panda..One of the .exe files I bring up is to run panda..now the message comes up 'THIS APPLIACTION IS TO CARRY OUT A FULL SCAN OF ALL PARTITIONS ON YOUR HARD DRIVES-FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS DISPLAYED ON SCREEN"... (then you have to hit enter) and you get-NO PARTITIONS WERE FOUND... I turn the power off and on...and the lovely PXE-E61 Media Failure - check cable is displayed... I went to the hp compaq site (don't ask me when i have no idea now) and I download the PCDOCTOR DOS offline PC diagnostics onto a CD (since it reads the CD drive now (only as the O drive [the N drive is the DVD).... I try to run it.. and that doesn't work... i do the autorun.exe that doesn't work in DOS...

I power down, power up, it goes to read the CD drive and then..... it says can't read the diskette in drive (something like that)... Remove bla bla and press enter... and i get the same error message.. I searched thru BC since I thought I saw someone had posted a topic on this error message - couldn't find it...

I'm going to take out this old (Original) hard drive now and try installing the new harddrive again, but alone this time-not with the OLD one as a slave... BUT I would like to know what is going on? How can I get these messages no hard drive; and then end up being able to access it the next time and listing the directory in C: How can it now not read CD or DVD drives the D: or E: only now it's the N and O drives and I am able to bring up the directory in Panda... but can't run Panda? and Panda usually will run automatically in other computer... I tried doing the AVAST for worms and viruses - no go.... I do not want to give up on this hard drive.. because I didn't have a backup program on my computer - as i said, you had to put in the Recovery CD and that was a listed option and do it from that (and that backup was from eons ago).. I have programs and files that are valuable to me not only for business but also for my creative endeavors. Sorry to bother you with this, and I hope you can make heads and tails out of my rambling.. I will take neater and organized notes from now on, thatis for sure... Somebody let me know what you think please.. :thumbsup:

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:41 PM

NO IDE Fixed Disk present

Step #1 is get a hard drive recognised by the BIOS. If you can't achieve that there is no point in going further, since - as you saw- most functions will just fail because they could not find the hard drive.

Diskette MBR Validation= DISABLE.... (is this what is keeping me from being to update the mbr read below)??

I doubt it, but I don't really know what that's for. Just leave it at its default value and things should work normally.

BOOT ORDER: IDE CD-Rom Drive = 1st; Diskette A=2nd; USB Device=Third; Compaq Ethernet Controller=4th.

There's no hard drive in there. Do you have the option to choose a hard drive? (even though there is not one detected.) If so set the hard drive (HDD0 perhaps?) to boot 3rd.

If you have set the drive jumper to master, plugged it in to the black IDE connector and firmly connected a power cord (with the yellow, red and black wires) and the IDE cable is correctly connected to the motherboard then the system should see your hard drive. If it does not, and you have tripple checked everything, then I'm afraid your drive may be faulty and inoperable. You will not be able to run any programs on it or recover any data from it (without sending it to a data recovery specialist).

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users