Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Favorites will not work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tyl604

tyl604

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:54 PM

Laptop is an emachines E627 w 2 gigs of ram and a 160 gig HD. Running Win7. Running Explorer 8. Suddenly a few months ago the Favorites stopped working. It says "unable to create XXX. Unspecified error." There were two answers that I uncovered having to do with 1) the shell and 2) the integrity level. Could not get either fix to workl

Here is something I found in Microsoft forum having to do with the Shell in IE8. Did not fix the problem:

"Check your computer’s Shell:Favorites location. If Shell:Favorites gets set to a location that is deleted/moved/doesn’t exist then problems like the ones you are experiencing can occur. Try this to see if resetting the Shell:Favorites location back to default helps:

Modifying REGISTRY settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of REGISTRY settings can be solved. Modifications of these settings are at your own risk.

· Click Start
· Click Computer
· In the address bar, paste this location: %userprofile%
· Press Enter on your keyboard
· Make sure you have a Favorites folder listed in the %userprofile% folder
· If there isn’t a Favorites folder listed, create a new folder and name it Favorites
· Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the run dialog
· In the Open: field, type regedit
· Click OK
· Click Yes on the User Account Control (if prompted)
· Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
· Right click Favorites
· Click Modify…
· In the Value data: field, paste %userprofile%\Favorites
· Click OK
· Exit Registry Editor

So none of this worked.

2) the other solution. I found the other possible answer that did not work but it is for Vista and not Win7 (thought maybe it would work for Win7 too). It was an "integrity" issue. I tried to change the integrity level from low to high but could not get the string correct; wonder if there was something wrong in the example. Anyway here is the post I found and tried to use to change the integrity. I still wonder if changing to higher integrity might work. I just could not figure out how to do it.

"I finally found a real explanation with a solution for this problem on the "microsoft.public.windows.vista.general" Microsoft Discussion group.

Here's the thread:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?query=Favorites&dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.general&cat=en_us_fdf138d6-427a-48d6-84dc-a91a6c9fbb45&lang=en&cr=us&pt=&catlist=&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us

Problem explained: there's a new permission concept in Vista called "integrity". By default all files on your computer have "medium" or higher integrity. Applications that do not meet or exceed an integrity class cannot modify the files. When Internet Explorer is running in "protected mode" (must be the default on Vista) it runs with "low" integrity to prevent rogue apps from modifying your files without your permission.

Solution:
•Open an admin command prompt (right-click Command Prompt and click Run As
Administrator)
•Browse to the folder that contains your favorites folder
•Type: icacls favorites /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low"

So I tried all of this and could not get it to accept my command; probably my string was incorrect. Actually I think the last sentence should instruct you to type the last word as high instead of low but I tried all kinds of combinations with no luck.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks.

Edited by tyl604, 06 May 2011 - 07:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:32 PM

You said you're running XP. You found an explanation "new permission concept in Vista" ....

I'm totally confused here. :crazy:

This part of the forum is for Windows 7 questions/answers only. Should you be looking for XP questions and answers on our XP forum located here? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum56.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:07 AM

My bad. I am running Win7. I thought the integrity fix might work for Win7 even though it was for Vista. Did not work. I made corrections to my original post.

Edited by tyl604, 06 May 2011 - 07:08 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:19 PM

It's possible that the user profile is damaged.

I would create a new one and see if I then experience the same problem as a new user.

Louis

#5 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:25 PM

That is a new concept. What is a user profile and how do I create a new one?

Thanks.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:29 PM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Louis

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:31 PM

How to Create, Delete and Modify User Accounts in Windows 7
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2974-user-accounts.html?filter[2]=User Accounts

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#8 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:19 PM

Hamluis and Jacee - I created a new account per your instructions and Favorites is now working perfectly. Thanks for that.

There are a number of files and programs on my previous user desktop that are not showing when I login under the new account. How can I transfer them over? Or would it be easier to copy those new user account files (not the .dat and .ini file) and paste/replace them in the original user account. I have a lot of things under the original user name that I need.

Thanks.

Edited by tyl604, 07 May 2011 - 12:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users