Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

programs closing, can't be found

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mccull61

mccull61

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:27 PM

Hello there, I'm hoping you can help me with problems encountered when running several programs on my Dell Inspiron laptop (Windows 7).

Problems:
1) Outlook keeps stopping, Windows says it's checking for problems and can't find any.
2) Can't open the volume control and I have no sound lthough when I hover over the small icon on the lower right of the computer it says its at 52%
3) Can't open Windows Movie Maker from the start menu or from locating the .exe file within the C: drive.
probably others I haven't encountered today.

Background:
Running Windows 7 (64 bit) on a Dell Inspiron 1545, have had it over a year. Using Avira AntiVir personal, perform full scans each night. Problem began last night (5/4/11). I received a backup file for Quickbooks Pro 2011 via e-mail and tried to restore it to Quickbooks (something I do weekly). QB program would begin opening, but couldn't. After working with a great tech from Intuit we discovered the folder holding the QB data files was the problem (corrupted?) and worked around the problem by creating a folder on the desktop to use for data and backups.

Steps I've taken so far:
1) Updated MalWarebytes AntiMalware and ran a full scan. No malicious software found.
2) Ran the defrag program. C: had 3% (if I remember right) fragmented, and it ran 5 passes to fix that.
3) Updated CCleaner and ran the cleaner to delete unneeded files.
5) Avira had run last night and found nothing, so I didn't run it again.
6) In looking at Task Manager there's a file that seems out of place: qbw32.exe *32 Quickbooks isn't open and the usual QB program file is just qbw32.exe without the *32, so maybe that's a clue.
7) Another possible clue: our other computer has slowed to a crawl..currently on its 16th hour running a malwarebytes scan. Both access the same verizon e-mail so maybe something came through e-mail to plague us.

Any ideas about what to do next? I've got a full backup on an external hard drive from about a week ago, so I know I'm covered if the whole thing crashes, but obviously, I'd like to avoid that! THANKS in advance:)

Regards,
Terry M.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:50 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 mccull61

mccull61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:21 PM

Hi Cryptodan, Thank you for your quick reply. The strangest thing just happened...I installed the newer version of IE (Ver. 9) that had been downloaded earlier. Part of this requires a restart. I had restarted the computer several times before in trying to fix the problems to no avail. Now my sound is back on, and I had no problem opening Windows Movie maker. I'm thinking that maybe the defrag process helped but my restarts had been before and not after I had done the defrag process so perhaps restarting after the defrag was very important.

I am going to see how things go and then if Outlook keeps stopping I'll publish the snapshot using Speecy.

Thanks again!
Regards,
Terry M.

Edited by mccull61, 05 May 2011 - 03:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users