Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open word docs.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pbrown0887

Pbrown0887

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:25 PM

I have a bunch of word documents, that won't open up. When I try to open them up an error message saying "Word cannot open document: user does not have acess priviledges" pops up. I save anything in the file in which they are located that new document, in turn, becomes the same as the rest. Gotta bunch of files I'd really like to open but can't.

Edited by hamluis, 05 May 2011 - 02:49 PM.
Moved from XP to Bus Apps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:49 PM

What folder are you storing these documents?

You have MS Word installed? If so, uninstall it...then reinstall it. Then apply any critical updates from Microsoft Update.

Louis

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:20 PM

Might also be that you need to take ownership of the files.
What version of Windows?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Pbrown0887

Pbrown0887
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

Don't have the installation disk.
I have Microsoft word 2003.
It's weird... if I save a word doc to the desktop the word doc will no longer accessible. If I save it to the specified folder it will do the same thing. The folder is one I created. If i save a doc to my documents or some other folder I'm fine.

XP OS

#5 BakerTech

BakerTech

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:27 PM

Are you on a computer at work in a corporate setting or is this your own personal computer? The folder you created may have a group policy automatically assigned to it by Active Directory and the Read/Write Attribute permission is not set for you.

This can occur in an office setting when you create a directory and the system assigns security access restrictions to it. The documents folder may be the assigned directory set by your local IT Admin as the directory where your profile has read/write access privileges. This would explain why the documents are not affected in your user/documents folder.
BakerTech

#6 Pbrown0887

Pbrown0887
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:14 AM

It's my own personal laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users