Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

modification of folders on drive c: \ \

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 qwerty9

qwerty9

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:05 PM

Hello
recently through the supervision of the board of infospyware.com disinfect the computer with combofix, but now in the C: \ \ I get several folders that had not previously.
These are:
Boot
Config.Msi
MSOCache
ProgramData
I wonder if I can eliminate or minimum if I can stay hidden as they were, because if you change the option of keeping the system hidden folders nothing happens.
OS home premium windows 7
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:18 PM

ProgramData and Boot are required and WERE there before. MSOCache contains part of your MS Office Installation Cd. If you still have that cd you can delete the MSOCache folder if you like - it's only purpose is to save you the trouble of inserting the cd if you make changes to the Office installation.

You can delete the config. msi folder.

If you don't want to see the other folders, enable hiding system files & folders in Explorer's Options

#3 qwerty9

qwerty9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

thanks
well, delete the folders Msocache Config.msi and that is fine.
but also and change the option to hide system files and folders in the Explorer Options and yet still visible, I attached the picture.

You think you have to change the option directly from the properties of the folder (boot and programdata)? and if so I think I remember asking if you just want that folder to become hidden or together with all its subfolders.
or what would be the steps now.

Attached Files

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,574 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

Sorry, it is to my never ending regret that I am only conversant in one language - and barely in that one :).

There are two items that need to be verified:
Put a mark in "don't show hidden files, folders, or drives" and
Put a mark in "hide protected operating system files"

#5 qwerty9

qwerty9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

hahaha XD
is sorry I forgot that the image would come out in Spanish, but checking these two items you say
"" There Are two items That Need To Be verified:
Put a mark in "do not show hidden files, folders, or drives" and
Put a mark in "Hide protected operating system files"
are properly selected
that's what makes me weird.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,574 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:56 PM

You know what? I don't use Windows Explorer but I just did and checked and neither of those folders is a system folder. You are supposed to see them. Don't worry about it and forget they are there.

#7 qwerty9

qwerty9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:14 PM

ok thank you very much.
is that I had gotten used to not seeing them before and they wanted to return to hide, but you're right, nothing happens and I forget they are there.
thanks

#8 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:24 PM

@ qwerty9, you should have asked your Malware Advisor at infospyware.com what to do. If you have any more problems, please follow up with that same Advisor! :thumbup2:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#9 qwerty9

qwerty9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:39 PM

hi jacee
Tech Support is that my problem solved now, (he was a Trojan) and resolved the issue.
The only question was about those folders that appeared after using combofix, is that if I asked my advisor at that time on those folders and if I could delete or leave them hidden but only told me not eliminated so get a second opinion here on whether there was any option so they can be hidden.
thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users