Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo Mail will not let me sign in with Laptop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:13 AM

I have used Yahoo mail for several years without a problem. A couple of weeks ago Yahoo required me to change my password which I did. I always keep a copy of the ID and password so I can cut and paste if needed.
Currently I am signed in on my desktop with the "keep me signed in" box checked. Got a screen this morning saying my screen resolution was too low but this was not the case. Yahoo mail is open and working on the desktop as I type this.
I have been tryng to sign in with this laptop but keep getting "Invalid password or ID". I have accessed mail from this laptop before but not since I bought the new DELL XPS Desktop. I tried looking at Yahoo answers but I need to sign in to ask a question.(Catch 22 <_< ) I get a " This ID is not yet taken " message when trying to sign in to Yahoo answers
I even tried using the cut and paste method when attempting to sign in with this laptop so I know that both ID and password are correct.
Desk top is DELL XPS, WIN 7 Ultimate , 64 bit
Firefox 4.
Laptop is Panasonic Toughbook
XP , SP3
Firefox 3.6.17
I also tried IE but the results is the same.
Is the fact that the Desktop is currently signed in preventing the laptop from doing so? I would expect some sort of box telling me that the account was already signed in elsewhere but this is not the case.
I think that Yahoo mail is rolling out a new version soon. Could this be causing it to act squirrelly???
As always any input is appreciated and I thank you in advance.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

Edited by Nawtheasta, 05 May 2011 - 10:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:17 PM

Hi All
I am bumping this because I didn't get any response. Still cannot sign in to Yahoo mail on my primary account with this laptop.I won't rehash what I wrote in the original text. It is still valid.
Update, sort of:
I set up a new Yahoo account on the laptop. No problem signing in to the new account on this laptop.I tried signing in to my primary Yahoo account with my wife"s laptop. Same problem.
To reemphasize. I put the user name and password on a word document. Cut and paste for sign in with the Dell desk top, no problem.Exactly the same procedure with the laptop and No Go.
Also the Desk top has McAfee and the laptop has Comodo
Any Ideas?????????????
Input is welcome!!
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#3 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:07 PM

Is the fact that the Desktop is currently signed in preventing the laptop from doing so?

Have you tried signing out with the "Desktop" and while it is signed out, then signing in with the laptop? If you are worried that you may not be able to sign back in at all, try this test:

Sign into your new account with your laptop. While your laptop is currently signed into the new account, try signing into the new account with your wife's laptop.I'm guessing, but I think you will have the same problem of "Invalid password or ID".

If that is what happens then problem solved, if not, then at least one possibility has been removed.

#4 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:05 PM

Thanks FlannelBack I will try tomorrow. I'll try various sign ins with different computers and report back.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#5 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:31 PM

OK. With the desktop signed out from my primary Yahoo account I have tried signing in to my primary Yahoo account on my wife's laptop. NO GO
Wife's Laptop is a wireless connection.
With my sons desktop, wired connection to same router as my Dell, I have tried signing in to my primary Yahoo account. NO GO

With my laptop I signed in to my new Yahoo account OK. While still signed in I went to my wife's laptop and was able to sign in to my new Yahoo account OK.

This all seemed to start when Yahoo requested a change of password in April.The " Invalid password or ID" seems to come up with a sign in attempt to my primary Yahoo account from any other computer except my new Dell desktop.

Almost like Yahoo has an evil twin and that's the one my Dell will sign into :wacko:

I have not tried, that I can remember, signing in to the new Yahoo account from my Dell
desktop.As I do not know the cause of Yahoo blocking other sign ins I did not want to take the chance of it doing the same thing to the new account.

All suggestions welcome!!
Thanks in advance
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#6 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:14 PM

Sorry I couldn't help Nawtheasta. Sounds like Yahoo is running in snafu mode as usual, which is one of the reasons I canceled my account. While I had much trouble with the e-mail end of things, I don't think I ever had a problem with Yahoo accepting my sign in ID.

You might contact Yahoo for help and ask why they requested a password change. I don't know if that would be a worth while effort or not.

I've called them a number of times in trying to solve various problems. They switched me to one department after another. In the end, the solutions were short lived and I was left with the impression of "one hand doesn't know what the other is doing" as well as an unreliable premium account.

I Hope you can find a solution soon. To me, it doesn't look like the problem is with your end, but I'm not a network wizard either.

#7 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:48 AM

Thanks Flannelback
I posted this question on Yahoo answers via the Desktop. Someone has come back saying Yahoo would never request a password change and that I may have been scammed (????)
Looked around on Google and I am pretty sure it was a legit request because it came from a Yahoo popup at sign in and not from an E mail. Also received an official looking yahoo E mail in April confirming the change.
I used the regular process to change the password but have found some trouble shooting Yahoo info. that mentions clearing cache.
Maybe the thing to do is just to change the password again. I guess Yahoo must track the computer that signs in and matches it to username and password??
Thanks again for your feed back Flannelback

#8 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:56 AM

Well, changing the password again isn't a bad idea. I thought about that but was afraid you might loose access to the primary account altogether, what with the way Yahoo throws curve balls now and then.

Clearing the cache on the laptop might work. Clearing the cache on the desktop won't have any effect on the laptop, which is the one you're having problems signing in with.

Edited by FlannelBack, 23 August 2011 - 01:08 AM.

#9 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:21 AM

Yes that has been my primary concern. In reviewing my profile I notice that a contact E mail listed was an old excite account I haven't gone to in years . I put in the new Yahoo Email. Received a verification notice on the new yahoo account on the laptop. In order to complete the verification it required I sign in with the account that won't let me sign in. Grrrrr :crazy:
Fortunately that is the secondary contact info. The primary is my Go daddy account. I will wait a day or so and try changing password again.
Sorry if I am being a little paranoid about this. I have years of E mails and give this out as the E mail address to friends, family and business associates. Would be a real pain to lose it.
Thanks
Nawtheasta

#10 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:32 AM

A question. If sign in is done by cutting and pasting username and password from a word doc. brought to the laptop on a USB stick why would clearing cache or not clearing it effect sign in? I could see where using auto fill might mess things up.
Regards
Nawtheasta

#11 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:39 AM

why would clearing cache or not clearing it effect sign in?

Although the quote below is from an old Microsoft article for I.E.6, "How and Why to Clear Your Cache", hope it answers the question.

Adjusting How Often to Update
While it's true that the more files you can load from your hard disk, the faster your browsing speed, it's also true that those pages on the Web might have changed since being stored on your computer. You might not want to miss fresh content just to save a little time. Fortunately, in addition to the size of the cache, you can also customize how often Internet Explorer 6 checks the Web for updated content.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/using/howto/customizing/clearcache.mspx#EAF

Since the Yahoo sign in page is a secure "https" page it may not be stored in the cache. Depends on how the browser is set up and how the web page is configured, but it certainly won't hurt to clear the cache. In my case I have the browsers configured to not cache "https" pages as well as clearing the cache when a browser session ends.

If you're interested, here is a tutorial about how it works. http://www.web-caching.com/mnot_tutorial/how.html

Might want to delete cookies too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users