Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need to manually transfer files and settings

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:12 AM

hi,

i just did an upgrade from xp to windows 7. i thought i proceeded correctly. i used the file and transfer wizard to put my files and settings on a flash drive. then the files and transfer wizard wouldn't see the files. i click on USMT2.UNC and click 'open' and receive a message 'does not match'. now i find out after two hours on google that i was supposed to use some other wizard to put the files on the flash drive, because the windows 7 file and transfer wizard would not see the files on the flash drive. i did, however, copy the entire contents of the xp on a seperate hard drive. i just don't know what to put where and how.
i basically have to do what the wizard would have done for me without it's help.
what is moved to where in xp to where in win7 by the wizard? any guidance would be most appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:42 AM

i have decided to start over which means reinstalling xp, then upgrading to win7. my mistake was using the 'file and transfer wizard'. the needed program was the 'easy transfer wizard' that needs to be installed seperately. windows 7 has it's own 'easy transfer wizard' that was supposedly initiated by typing a command in a run prompt, which was not necessary in my case. when i browsed to the files saved by the 'easy transfer wizard' in xp and clicked on them, the 'easy transfer wizard' of windows 7 automatically kicked in and reinstalled the files.
another caveat worth mentioning happened during the microsoft updates. while it was installing ie9 the progress bar stalled for over an hour. it turns out (after i stopped the installation and closed the window, there were no other options that i could see) that there was a 'pop-under' that needed to be clicked on. the 'pop-under' was completely hidden.
fortunately, everything went well with the COA unactivation/reactivations that took place. i was really worried that i would get rejected either when i tried to reinstall xp or when i upgraded to win7. the COAs are different and when one is activated, the other is deactivated, and microsoft has to keep track of this.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:25 PM

There is no true upgrade from XP to Win 7...the result is a clean install of Win 7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

Louis

#4 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:10 AM

Louis,

yeah, i've seen that tutorial (i watched it over and over about a dozen times). i recall having to reinstall (start over with xp) because it left out something very important, though i can't remember what. i must admit that microsoft allowed me to use the xp license, then the windows7 license without error. nice job by them.

thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users