Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Query re Symantec "Application changed" Notice.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KeithRic

KeithRic

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:12 AM

Hi. I am new here and probably rate about "technologically challenged" so apologies in advance if I've put this in the wrong forum, or the answers are elsewhere on site. I have tried searching, but without luck.
In brief, yesterday when I booted up my computer I got a message pop up from Symantec (I run endpoint)
"Application has changed since the last time you opened it, process id: 5852"
today the same thing but a different end number:
"Application has changed since the last time you opened it, process id: 2348"
I'm not aware of having done anything that would have caused any change. Is this message indicative of something I should be alarmed about.
Many thanks for your time and thought
Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,578 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:39 PM

Process ID is just a number that Windows gives to various applications as they start.
Unfortunately, nobody can tell you what 5852 or 2348 or any such number might mean. They are volatile. They belong to one session. On your computer. Next day they're all different numbers.
Watch the Symantec alert some more. If they're any good, they should tell you what the application is they see a change in. When you catch the entire alert, or extract it from the logs, post back.

Viruses can change applications.
So can you changing some program.
So can Windows updates where the vital Windows applications change as they patch the system.

PID description
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_identifier

Edited by tos226, 05 May 2011 - 08:43 PM.

#3 KeithRic

KeithRic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:24 AM

Hi Sincere thanks for explaining this so clearly. I will of course do as you suggest. Again it was very good of you to reply as promptly and courteously to what probably seemed a very dumb question. It probably was, but not to me. Best regards KR

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,578 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:13 PM

You're very welcome.
Your question is NOT dumb. The answers might be :)
How can anyone learn all this stuff without the forum? I learn here.
Certainly Microsoft doesn't help when they sell you Windows.

Back to your changes, you mentioned that you made no changes. Don't forget that your antivirus application is likely changing often. Not just crapware definitions, but the engine itself. That's one place you might look up in the Symantec product how to exclude antivirus application.

Basically, make sure the logs run and look at them once in a while. Logs are very useful to learn from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users