Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Semi-dead PC, tried a few things already but 0

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SammyM00782

SammyM00782

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:08 PM

Alright so here's the story. Back in late 08 I bought a whole bunch of parts to build a new PC. Specs are XFX nForce 680i SLI MB, Core 2 Q 6600 2.4GHz, 8 gig of DDR, 2 sata HDD's, 2 dvd burners, 600W Xion PSU and nothing fancy past that. Ran 24 hrs a day for about 2 1/2 years, came home one day and it was off. Hit power, lights and fans came on and nothing else. So far I've replaced the MB with a nearly identical one except it was the NON LT model and I got a coolermax 700w from a buddy due to suggestions from others that the PSU could be suspect....well, that's not it. It's STILL doing the exact same thing and no matter what is connected or not it just kind of hangs with nothing responding. The only thing that's bothering me is this. On the MB itself there are 3 colored LED's. A blue, a green and an amber. All 3 are lit up when for some reason I only recall the blue and green being lit and nobody at XFX can tell me if that means something or has anything to do with my problem. Figures. Any ideas?

Edit: Moved topic from System Building and Upgrading to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SammyM00782

SammyM00782
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:45 PM

Alright so here's the story. Back in late 08 I bought a whole bunch of parts to build a new PC. Specs are XFX nForce 680i SLI MB, Core 2 Q 6600 2.4GHz, 8 gig of DDR, 2 sata HDD's, 2 dvd burners, 600W Xion PSU and nothing fancy past that. Ran 24 hrs a day for about 2 1/2 years, came home one day and it was off. Hit power, lights and fans came on and nothing else. So far I've replaced the MB with a nearly identical one except it was the NON LT model and I got a coolermax 700w from a buddy due to suggestions from others that the PSU could be suspect....well, that's not it. It's STILL doing the exact same thing and no matter what is connected or not it just kind of hangs with nothing responding. The only thing that's bothering me is this. On the MB itself there are 3 colored LED's. A blue, a green and an amber. All 3 are lit up when for some reason I only recall the blue and green being lit and nobody at XFX can tell me if that means something or has anything to do with my problem. Figures. Any ideas?

Edit: Moved topic from System Building and Upgrading to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Thanks man, I wasn't sure exactly where to go with this one. Too many forums anymore lol. :blink:

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:48 PM

Take a close look at the CPU and see if the thermal paste / padding used is crusted or dry. Also see if there is a lot of dust build up.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:58 PM

Your motherboard is this one listed here? > XFX nForce 680i SLI MB

Only site that comes close is this one listed below, however I want to mention this site also has world-wide based web sites as well, which can be located off of this site, but for the most part I have the USA site selected below.

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support.aspx

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 SammyM00782

SammyM00782
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:36 AM

Your motherboard is this one listed here? > XFX nForce 680i SLI MB

Only site that comes close is this one listed below, however I want to mention this site also has world-wide based web sites as well, which can be located off of this site, but for the most part I have the USA site selected below.

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support.aspx

Bruce.

Yes sir, that is the one. There was two versions of that MB at the time and one was listed 680i LT SLI and the other is just SLI.....she's no young pup by today's standards but my bills are more important now then carelessly spending on a machine I don't need :thumbsup:

#6 SammyM00782

SammyM00782
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:39 AM

Take a close look at the CPU and see if the thermal paste / padding used is crusted or dry. Also see if there is a lot of dust build up.

I never bothered to check that....damn. Dust isn't a problem because by habit since I left it on all the time I would blow it out ever other month. I'm guessing the paste could be shorting out something since I wasn't aware of the "rice" method back in the day and there was probably a bit too much. Thanks bud, I'll give that a shot later today after work and get back to everyone.

#7 SammyM00782

SammyM00782
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:05 PM

Sigh.....idk. I took it all apart and checked out the socket and it was gobbed up pretty good with paste. So, I got some remover and cleaned it up all nice, put some new paste down and now the damn thing won't even turn on. All the red LED's on my drives and card reader are lit....that's about it. I hate this computer bleep lol. There's no way I could've put the damn CPU in wrong is there? Stupid ? maybe but for the life of me I can't remember. I know I didn't forget to hook anything up.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:45 AM

Make sure the CPU fan is connected to the right header on the motherboard.

#9 SammyM00782

SammyM00782
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:07 PM

Make sure the CPU fan is connected to the right header on the motherboard.

That's another fool-proof deal. It's a 3-pin fan and the mb accepts a 4 but there's a tab to guide in a 3-pin. It worked for all that time before though....Any chance the cpu could just be dead? I've left everything unplugged accept for that and the power button with the same results. If I can't get it running by next weekend there's a guy that'll diag. it for me for 25 bux but why not try right? Either way, I miss my desktop. These laptops are just ehh..

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:21 PM

Is there new thermal paste on it?

#11 SammyM00782

SammyM00782
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:34 PM

Is there new thermal paste on it?

Yes but solution was found. Mobo is dead....seems there is a resistor under the cpu socket that interferes with the backing bracket for the cpu cooler, ergo on the 1st mb it shorted out. On the second one, broke off completely after the 2nd installation of the cpu/heatsink. Boooo. Well, tested everything else and all is well. I just need a new mobo that doesn't have some retarded resistor underneath or grab a new heatsink setup to go with the mobo. Thank god the cpu tested ok. Thank you everyone for the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users