Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE script errors, audio in background & hijacked browser

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 shionatron

shionatron

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:13 PM

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem as I simply can't get rid of it!

My laptop (running on windows XP) was recently infected with the Windows Security Center virus. I used Revo uninstaller to locate the virus file and then used the malwarebytes anti-malware file assassin tool to delete the file in safe mode. This seems to have worked and I no longer have the pop ups and the system tray shield so I think that's been fixed. However, now I am getting constant pop ups for IE script errors, am hearing music and adverts playing even when not connected to the internet and my browser appears to be hijacked as when I do a search I am taken to some completely different search results.

I had AVG anti-virus free on the laptop however for some reason I never noticed it wasn't actually working properly for some time! I uninstalled this and instead downloaded Avira antivirus where I found somewhere in the region of 950 viral files :o! I then have run malwarebytes antimalware but neither of these programs seem to be picking up this particular problem. I have tried to install ad-aware but whatever is on here is blocking this from running.

The windows security virus has already managed to completely wipe my C drive (I got the blue screen and an error message in white which I didn't manage to write down) and I have lost all my music, pics and documents so whether this will make removing the offending virus easier I don't know.

I'd really appreciate any help or advice anyone can give me as this is driving me insane! I'm not too sure what to install or what logs to add to this question so hopefully someone can advise. Thanks in advance!

(An addition - a member on here has just messaged me & pointed out that my files are probably just hidden so I have now found all the pics etc again so my C drive hasn't been wiped)

Edited by shionatron, 04 May 2011 - 05:39 PM.
Moved to AII from XP. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 J-SiN

J-SiN

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:32 PM

im having the SAME problem hopefully someone has an answer

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:13 PM

As you may hav removed and not cleaned an important file and thus you have further errors I feel it is best to move you to our MRK section so we don't lose the computer doing futher scans. You probably still have a Master Boot Record infection.

We need a deeper look. Please go here....
Preparation Guide .

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 shionatron

shionatron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:27 PM

I've done as you suggested - completed the prep guide steps & posted to the new forum.

Thanks for your help.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:11 PM

Thank you..
Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRL Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users