Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LAPTOP HARDDRIVE REPLACEMENT

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 publicsectorslave

publicsectorslave

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:06 PM

I've used Bleeping Computer in the past to successfully solve my malware/virus issues and an hoping to have the same success with this topic.

My 3+ year-old dell Inspiron 1520 laptop just failed a "DST Short Test 2000-0142". Further tests reveal multiple "0F00:1344 errors", Block 504618 through 504647 have "Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected" and a "IDE Device Failed" error.

All my googl-fu points to replacing the Hard-Drive, which looks like a drive to Tiger Direct to find a SATA replacement drive is in order.

Just wondering the proper steps needed to clone my existing harddrive so I don't have to reinstall a slew of graphic/design programs. Hoping there's an easy way to go about doing all this. I making an backup to an external drive with Macrium Reflect and will also create a backup with Acronis True Image Home 2011, just in case.

When I take out my existing harddrive and install a new one, I'm thinking my computer will not startup because there is nothing on the new drive.

If anyone can point me to existing online or provide step-by-step instructions it would be much appreciated.

thks
joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:14 PM

Use disk imaging software. Acronis True Image is the best, but it isn't free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect.

#3 publicsectorslave

publicsectorslave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

Do I copy the back-up to the new drive before installing it into the laptop?
I have a 3.5" external drive case that I was thinking of using to mount the new drive in.

Anywhere I can find a start-up CD/DVD disk or will my dell disc work?

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:39 AM

You can not place the data on the new drive because when you later install it onto the laptop and you are re-installing Windows, you will have to format the drive.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:38 AM

You can not place the data on the new drive because when you later install it onto the laptop and you are re-installing Windows, you will have to format the drive.

I think he is trying to clone his old drive instead of transferring data.

Each drive manufacturer has their own free clone software. Head to that site first and look around.

WD has a free version of Acronis for example: http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119

Seagate: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard

Edited by dpunisher, 05 May 2011 - 04:39 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:53 AM

Do I copy the back-up to the new drive before installing it into the laptop?
I have a 3.5" external drive case that I was thinking of using to mount the new drive in.

Anywhere I can find a start-up CD/DVD disk or will my dell disc work?

You install the disk imaging software on the old drive. Then you create a boot cd. Then create an image on either an external drive or to cd's / dvd's. Then you install the new drive, boot to the Acronis or Macrium cd that you created when you first installed it on the old drive and point it to the image you created. It will place that image on the new drive and you're good to go.

#7 publicsectorslave

publicsectorslave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:21 PM

Thanks everyone at Bleeping for such quick responses. Thanks for your keystrokes.

Then you create a boot cd.

I can't find my Dell disks but I believe Dell 32 Bit Diagnostics (Graphical User Interface version) is a bootable disk, or does anyone know of any links to creating a Dell Inspiron 1520 boot cd?

I'm also guessing at some point I will have to edit the Bios to first check the DVD/CD tray for a disc before the HDD?

...WD has a free version of Acronis for example: http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119

It won't let me install WD Acronis because my new WD 500GB/8MB 2.5" Mobile SATA HD drive is not installed yet. I've downloaded and installed the 15 day free trial of Acronis Home 2011. After I install the new WD drive I will use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall the Home version and then reinstall the WD version after I've successfully cloned and migrated to the new drive.

Any thoughts/best practices on how I should partition the new 500 GB drive...
Would like a partition just for the system and applications, and another for my documents/data.
Not really interested in a dual boot, as XP SP3 is a pretty solid and proven OS.

PS Bleeping Computer Rocks!!!

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:51 AM

Thanks everyone at Bleeping for such quick responses. Thanks for your keystrokes.

Then you create a boot cd.

I can't find my Dell disks but I believe Dell 32 Bit Diagnostics (Graphical User Interface version) is a bootable disk, or does anyone know of any links to creating a Dell Inspiron 1520 boot cd?

Sorry - I wasn't very clear. You create the cd with the Disk Imaging application. You will find an option to create a "recovery" or "bootable" disk within the program. THAT's the disk you boot to in order to begin the restore process.

#9 publicsectorslave

publicsectorslave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:53 PM

Thnaks again Allen....

First time I used Acronis I soon realized that there was an option for creating a boot disk. Which I did.

My first attempt at creating a backup, Acronis said it was successfully created.
It wasn't until I swapped drives and tried to restore the archive when about half way through the restore, Acronis quit the install reporting cannot read from "bad blocks"
I then read the Acronis manual and had to select "Ignore bad blocks".

My second attempt to create a full backup, I also selected "validate".
After swapping out the drives again, and booting up from the restor cd, Acronis says It was successful restored.

But now when I boot up with the new drive it gets stuck at "Loading PBR descriptor 1"
Not sure how to get past this error, I'm just glad my original harddrive hasn't quit yet (fingers crossed!).

My goggle-fu points to running a "FIXMBR", but after burning and restarting with both a Windows Recovery Console disk and a Dell Diagnostics 32bit Utility, I don't get to any type of "DOS" or "Command Line" type prompt.

The trial version of Acronis has the "clone" option as being unavailable.

Should I be attempting a "clone" of the drive or will backing up all my partitions do the job. I've attached a cropped screen grab of the partitions that I've tried to install on my new drive. Should I also be trying to restore what acronis refers to as "My System" or is that included in my partition?

Any suggestions to my next course of action...

Attached Files

#10 publicsectorslave

publicsectorslave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:50 PM

Went from bad to worse...

Still haven't worked out the FIXMBR issue, but now, my 1520's screen went black tonight. Earlier today when waking it went from an overall shade of pink to a proper calibrated monitor.
Now occassionally during boot-up I can see an image for a second flash on my laptop screen.

Hooking up to an external monitor allows me to use my laptop as a desktop. Any special command to get my laptop to boot up on my external monitor from the start.
I'm using nVidia Desktop Manager/Control Panel and have set the external monitor as my primary screen.

I can't do any F2 F8 or F12 commands at start-up because my laptop monitor stays black.

Would bad sectors on my HDD cause a screen display problem?

How hard is it to check the connections to my laptop screen?

thks
joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users