Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my pc starts only in F1 and only sometimes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xcaret

xcaret

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:44 PM

My pc doesnt start most of the time,when it does its after several trys ,I always have to hit the F1 buton then usualy get a desktop without the icons.this is one of the 1 in 4 trys that got the pc working.
Oftem I get no response when clicking on something.. I cleaned with malware bytes ,and antspyware 2 days ago so I dont think I'm infected. My pc has been taking to long to shut down ,and sometimes it says it is but in the morning its still not shut down so I have pulled the power cord out several times. I have a feeling thats when trouble started. I was refered to this site by geekpolice who told me to come here and get combo fix.I used to have it but when I just now tried to run it I got a message saying it had errors or was corupted or something like that.I have my xp cd and registration number but the cd drive has been not working for a year or so ,so I cant re run XP .Where do I download combofix?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Please DO NOT download an run combofix unless specifically requested to do so by someone on our Malware Response team! Combofix is not designed to be used as a daily scanner.

This sound more like a possible hard drive issue to me.
Please post the make/model of the system.

Since the system is now booted up, I would take the time to backup your files for safety sake.

What does the prompt say before you hit the F1 button?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 xcaret

xcaret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

it starts in dos and asks if I want to start in F1 or f2 and do my own settings. If I click f2 it shows time and a bunch of irrelevant stuff. also a minute ago I was typing this and the screen shut down to just the desktop. To back up my system canm I just click save all c drive to my external hard drive? I have a table top ( it lays flat) Dell model GX260 it says on the sticker serial 864826 it has XP home

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:26 PM

Does it say anything like Hard drive SMART failure press F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup?
Does any part of what it says reference the hard drive?
Its kind of important to know what it says immediately before the F1 F2 prompt.

I would just backup the my documents folder.
Thats typically where most users data is stored
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 xcaret

xcaret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:11 PM

first thing I see is in the upper rh corner F2 setup and under that it says F12 boot menu.
it changes to
mary hard drive 1 not found
secondary hard disk drive 0 not found
strike F1 to continue ,F2 to run set up utilitiy select operating system to start & I couldnt read the rest cause it disapeared before I could read it,and it went to the windows startup flag and for the first time in a long time asked me to sign in ,just like the old days..and it worked properly.
Does this help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users