Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My hard drive is only showing up as 137 GB

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 crewjones33

crewjones33

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

I just purchased new parts to upgrade my system. I got a new cpu, mobo, and a 1 tb hard drive. I had install windows on the new drive because my new mobo only has Sata inputs and my old hard drive is not Sata. I installed Windows XP. This was an older version without SP1. I have since updated it to Sp3. I thought this would solve the problem but it has not. Please help. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:31 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013

#3 crewjones33

crewjones33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:17 PM

I have read that article many times and i don't know what the "Sysprep\I386 folder in the Sysprep image" is or where to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:51 AM

Well...unless you actually changed the partition size since your initial install...it will continue to reflect 137GB.

Go to Disk Management...Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

What is reflected for that hard drive...partitioned space and non-partititioned space?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 May 2011 - 07:51 AM.

#5 crewjones33

crewjones33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

partitioned is 127.99 gb and non-partititioned is 803.52 gb.

#6 crewjones33

crewjones33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:36 PM

My XP install disk was made before the sp1 update. I have heard that i can create a new install disk using the one i have and adding the current service pack to it on a new disk. I just put this system together and i don't mind reinstalling everything if that will fix the problem.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:47 PM

Well...there's no point in ever having a C: partition that's in excess of 100GB...and you have one already. Making it larger seems to be undesireable, IMO.

Since you can see the entire drive in Disk Management...that means that you can partition the remainder of the drive...into storage partitions, using Disk Management.

Louis

#8 crewjones33

crewjones33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

That was going to be my nexted question. I guess it is better to have one partion just for my OS and one just for programs and files. How large should the C: partion be? Is there any way to make it smaller once it has already been made? Thanks again for the help.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:40 AM

Due to the size of hard drives these days...it's a matter of opinion how a hard drive should be setup.

Windows XP and all installed programs on my system...fit on a 20GB partition. I don't put video/graphics/music files in My Docs/My Music, etc...I store them on a different partition on a different drive.

The larger that the Windows partition is...the longer it takes to run chkdsk and defrag.

My advice to you would be to leave things as they currently are...do some research on utilities that might allow you to resize/create partitions...then experiment at your own risk.

Resizing and Adding Partitions using GParted Live - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/resizing-adding-partitions-with-gparted-live/

Understanding Hard Disk Partitions - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/understanding-hard-disk-partitions/

Louis

#10 crewjones33

crewjones33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:25 AM

I will do that. Thanks for all the help!

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:50 AM

Thank you for being gracious :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users