Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure what hubby did, help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 T.Crom

T.Crom

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:16 PM

Last night my dell laptop had one of those dreadful blue screens. I seem to get them a lot. After turning my laptop off then back on it would start to boot but never making it past the dell logo. It just kept rebooting itself.
My husband spent most of the night messing with it. With the OS disk he did a bunch of chkdsk and repairs, but apparently nothing would work. He said he had to overrite the MBR. I have no idea what that is I woke up this morning to a working computer, but I can't open my files because of whatever he did. I can see them, but that's it.

It's like I have a new profile. My desktop is back to it's default. When I right click on the start button and click on Explore All Users I see the following under C: Documents and Settings. (they are listed in two different font colors)
+ Administrator (blue font)
+ All Users (blue)
+ All Users.Windows (blue)
+ Default User (black font)
+ Default User.Windows (blue)
+ Owner (black)
+ terri (blue)
+ terri.home-D######## (black)

Under C:\program files
All of my programs are there, but I can't open them.
Example
Photoshop says - A required application library failed to load and the product cannot continue. Please reinstall the application.*
Excel says - This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

It's like a piece of whatever my programs need is missing somewhere. Does anyone know how to find these missing pieces or how I can restore the info under User terri.home-D######? Or any other info that may help me out! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:39 AM

Since you don't know what your husband did...and we certainly don't know...the smartest thing to do, IMO, is to either give the system back to your husband for correction...or employ the Dell factory restore mechanism.

Louis

#3 T.Crom

T.Crom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:32 AM

I thought maybe someone would be able to tell me how to change My Documents path back to my previous user? But since nobody can I guess I'll just wipe out windows and reinstall it. I was really hoping to avoid this since apparently all of my programs are on here, but my Document and Settings are messed up since there is a new profile on here. Oh well....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users