Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer heating up and shutting off...but not in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 steeplearningcurve

steeplearningcurve

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:22 AM

My high school daughter has a hand-me-down laptop from her older sister. It is a
Toshiba (bought ~2006)
Windows XP Home Edition 2002 Service Pack 3

The major complaint she had with the computer was that it was slow and it sometimes overheated and shut off, particularly when she played games. She mainly uses the computer for writing, internet and game playing. After receiving some great help from this site for my husband's infected computer I realized that all the family computers were under protected so one by one I worked on all the household computers includeding the one I'm having problems with. I installed and ran Malwarebytes, and Spybot. I ran chkdsk, defragged and I used the bleeping computer tutorial on Start-up PRograms to see if we could make the computer run faster. That was maybe 4-5 weeks ago.
All seemed "ok" but then in a few weeks the heating up and turning off problem started again and it started happening when she was only typing a paper. I ran chkdsk again but it wouldn't finish. It would get to stage 2 of 3 and give me the error message:

"errors found, chkdsk cannot continue in read only mode"

I tried to run chkdsk /f but continued having problems so I ran the recovery console chkdsk /r. It found errors and fixed it, but then I ran chkdsk again (not in recovery mode) and it still said I had problems so I ran chkdsk /r again in recovery console and then ran chkdsk in "safe mode" and then it said all was fine. I also ran Malwarebytes scan in safe mode and that came back fine. That was about 2 weeks ago.

Shortly after handing the computer back to my daughter the problem returned with the computer heating up and shutting off after only a few minutes of being on. I told her to stop using the computer until I had a chance to look at it again.

I just ran chkdsk /r again from recovery console. This took quite some time yet the computer did not turn off. It found 1 or more errors and corrected them. I went to safe mode and ran a chkdsk and everything came back fine. I also ran a malwarebytes scan in safe mode and it came back fine.

I'm wondering if i just have a hardware problem, if the laptop is too old, or if there could be something else going on. I wanted to start by including the requested logs but when I try and run DDS in safe mode (after defogger) it doesn't finish, it just freezes. Not being computer literate I tried the defogger and dds again in regular mode but still with the same results. (I turned off tea-timer and AVG shield.)

What should I do next? Should I try the GMer program? And can you clarify if i run the program in safe mode?
Thanks

Edited by Budapest, 04 May 2011 - 04:29 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs as it does not appear to me a malware problem ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:34 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

The fact that you are having to run chkdsk /r and the fact that it is finding errors is a possible indicator that the hard drive disks are showing some form of disk corruption.

This corruption can be caused by the computer shutting down before files in use are safely returned to the hard drive, which results in corrupted files.

It could also be an early indicator your hard drive is eventually going to fail.

My suggestion is to go to MY COMPUTER, right click your hard drive and choose PROPERTIES, then TOOLS.

Next navigate the menu until you see ERROR CHECKING, click the CHECK NOW button, check mark: AUTOMATICALLY FIX SYSTEM ERRORS and check mark: SCAN FOR AND ATTEMPT RECOVERY OF BAD SECTORS than click START.

Of course it will NOT run because the disk is in use, so it will offer to perform the task once the computer is restarted, so click the YES button to schedule the scan after a restart.

Now RESTART the computer, once a restart is done, a notice that a system scan was scheduled to run, do not abort this scan, allow it to scan and repair the system.

When it is done, the system will restart and boot back into Windows XP.

If problems are persistent I would be looking at a through cleaning out of dust accumulation from within the laptop.

Dust can become sucked into a laptop and it eventually prevents heat from escaping from the processor core and the laptop case its self.

Heat build up is the number one cause of system shut downs and system errors caused by computers shutting down abruptly do to heat related issues.

To solve this issue your self, it highly suggested you purchase a can of compressed air which can be found in most computer shops.

They come with a small plastic straw which inserts into the nozzle spray hole, make sure it is securely in the hole, then point the opposite end into any openings in the laptop, including any air vents you see.

Hopefully you will see some dust fly out the opposite end of the laptop, keep this up until you can no longer see any signs of dust coming out of the laptop case.

Please make sure the laptop cooling fans are functioning and doing their job, check to make the cooling fan is in fact spinning. Listen for air flow or a swooshing sound near the bottom air vent.

In doubt? place a lit candle near the vents to see if the flame is being influenced by the air flow, the flame should react in some way.

In the long term, a cooling pad for laptops can be purchased, these can be found at most computer stores that sell laptop computers. Those can often help keep the laptop cool while you use it at home.

If your problems persist, there may be a bigger issue with dust build up that you can not remove without actually opening up the laptop case in order to gain full access to the processor heat sink.

If you are not comfortable doing this, it is best you bring the laptop to a repair shop, where it can be done correctly.

The fact that your computer does not do this in safe mode also is an indicator of heat, because during safe mode the hard ware is not as stressed out as it is during normal boot up mode.

There could of course be a driver issue at fault here, but I would concentrate on heat as being the cause here, then once you have determined heat is no longer your issue, I would check into a driver issue.

But I seriously do not think a driver is going to cause your system to over heat.

So lets concentrate on getting that dust out of the laptop and maybe possibly having new thermal grease put in between the heat sink and processor.

Lastly, if your hard drive continues to exhibit disk errors, this can be an early sign your hard drive is eventually going to fail altogether.

It might be best to keep a back up of your important files on another hard drive in the event your hard drive fails to boot up any more.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 May 2011 - 04:56 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:25 AM

Also to check the real temperatures can you please download HW Monitor and then take a screenshot and post it in the next reply.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

To add to the excellent advice already provided, make sure that the CPU cooling fan is in fact spinning.
With the system on turn it on its side and shine a flashlight where the fan is to make sure that it is going.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users