Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Connect To Internet Through Gateway

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mongoose

Mongoose

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:14 PM

Hello
I cannot connect to the internet with my wireless gateway

Linksys Wireless G ADSL home gateway model no:WAG354G
Linksys Wireless G USB network adapter model no:WUSB854G
O.S.Windows XP home
ISP Tiscali.

The internet light on the gateway will not come on.
I have checked the Gateway and USB adapter and the connectivity is "excellent".
I have entered the correct I.P address, subnet mask no, entered the default gateway number.
I have contacte Tiscali and they walked me through the changes needed and I still cannot connect.
I have gone through the Linksys manual trouble shooter guide but do not understand the jargon.
I am having difficulty contacting Linksys customer service.
Please could somebody help ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:52 PM

It sounds like I.P settings on your system, not the gateway...
1)what kind of wireless NIC do you have? Some will not work on the Microsoft client.
2)check the address it's getting: control panel>network connections>rt-clk on wireless LAN>status>details.

If you are getting an I.P of 192.168.x.x and gateway of 192.168.y.y, then kill your firewall and privacy services, and re-open your browser.

another thing to try is to PING the router once you get the I.P.of the router, i.e. "default gateway"

Start>run>cmd, type ipconfig at the prompt, then type ping 192.168.y.y
if you get 4 sent, 4 received, 0% loss, you're probably looking at the firewall denying your browser access...
Let me know.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:50 PM

I wrote a reply which got trashed in a connection failure at my end :thumbsup:

Hee's a rough summary of my thoughts:

That is the key to the problem, either the Gateway has a problem or your phone line has a problem.

Try just switching the gateway off for one minute then on. Does the internet light return?

If you have all the necessary details to reconfigure the Gateway (someone must have done this originally) you can reset it to factory defaults - press the reset button and hold for 10 seconds. You must reconfigure afterwards.

Try changing the cable between the gateway and the phone outlet. Have you added or changed any phones in your house lately? Try disconnecting them.

hth :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Mongoose

Mongoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:14 PM

It sounds like I.P settings on your system, not the gateway...
1)what kind of wireless NIC do you have? Some will not work on the Microsoft client.
2)check the address it's getting: control panel>network connections>rt-clk on wireless LAN>status>details.

If you are getting an I.P of 192.168.x.x and gateway of 192.168.y.y, then kill your firewall and privacy services, and re-open your browser.

another thing to try is to PING the router once you get the I.P.of the router, i.e. "default gateway"

Start>run>cmd, type ipconfig at the prompt, then type ping 192.168.y.y
if you get 4 sent, 4 received, 0% loss, you're probably looking at the firewall denying your browser access...
Let me know.

Hello Lazarus

1) Not sure what you mean about wireless NIC and Microsoft client
2) Have checked the address I am getting I.P. 169.254.166.235 subnet mask 255.255.0.0
I do not have a gateway number for default gateway could this be the problem?

#5 Mongoose

Mongoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:17 PM

I wrote a reply which got trashed in a connection failure at my end :thumbsup:

Hee's a rough summary of my thoughts:

That is the key to the problem, either the Gateway has a problem or your phone line has a problem.

Try just switching the gateway off for one minute then on. Does the internet light return?

If you have all the necessary details to reconfigure the Gateway (someone must have done this originally) you can reset it to factory defaults - press the reset button and hold for 10 seconds. You must reconfigure afterwards.

Try changing the cable between the gateway and the phone outlet. Have you added or changed any phones in your house lately? Try disconnecting them.

hth :flowers:

Hello Rimmer

I have tried your suggestions and I still cannot connect

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:47 PM

Have checked the address I am getting I.P. 169.254.166.235 subnet mask 255.255.0.0

I'm not clear where you are seeing these numbers? How many PCs are connected to this "Gateway"?
Are any connected via wires or are they all wireless? Laptops or desktops?

There are two networks involved here - one is the wired and wireless network in your home which will have its own set of IP numbers - the other is the network between your router (part of the Gateway) and your ISP (Tiscali). It is the router which links the two networks, becoming a gateway between them - hence the term "Default Gateway" you see. The address of the Default Gateway needs to be entered on the PCs only.

The numbers you quoted look like those for the router<>ISP network. According to the manual for your WAG354G-EU the IP address of your router on the home side is 192.168.1.1 and your other computers should have addresses in that range i.e. 192.168.1.x

You configure the router by typing http://192.168.1.1 in your web browsers address field and hitting 'enter'. A login screen should appear where you type admin, admin and click Ok. Then you should be in the router configuration area. Do this and check all your settings. If you reset the router you would have had to do this already. Is that what you did? Are you able to do this now?

I still think if there is no internet light on then there is a problem with the router or the phone line. Possibly your router has been damaged by electrical surges coming down the phone line? (happens to me!)

Edited by Rimmer, 04 January 2006 - 06:51 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 Mongoose

Mongoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:24 PM

Have checked the address I am getting I.P. 169.254.166.235 subnet mask 255.255.0.0

I'm not clear where you are seeing these numbers? How many PCs are connected to this "Gateway"?
Are any connected via wires or are they all wireless? Laptops or desktops?

There are two networks involved here - one is the wired and wireless network in your home which will have its own set of IP numbers - the other is the network between your router (part of the Gateway) and your ISP (Tiscali). It is the router which links the two networks, becoming a gateway between them - hence the term "Default Gateway" you see. The address of the Default Gateway needs to be entered on the PCs only.

The numbers you quoted look like those for the router<>ISP network. According to the manual for your WAG354G-EU the IP address of your router on the home side is 192.168.1.1 and your other computers should have addresses in that range i.e. 192.168.1.x

You configure the router by typing http://192.168.1.1 in your web browsers address field and hitting 'enter'. A login screen should appear where you type admin, admin and click Ok. Then you should be in the router configuration area. Do this and check all your settings. If you reset the router you would have had to do this already. Is that what you did? Are you able to do this now?

I still think if there is no internet light on then there is a problem with the router or the phone line. Possibly your router has been damaged by electrical surges coming down the phone line? (happens to me!)

#8 Mongoose

Mongoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:27 PM

Hello Linksys online support helped me configure gateway thanks

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:18 PM

What was the problem?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#10 Mongoose

Mongoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:45 AM

What was the problem?

The configuration of the gateway and the usb network adapter.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:59 AM

Aahhh.. I really don't like USB. It promises alot but it more times than not causes the problems. It's not that hard to install a PCI or PCMCIA NIC and be done with it.
I'm glad to see everything worked out for you though.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users