Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My GEFORCE 9800 GT reaches over 100c at times. I need GPU cooling help PLEASE:)

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:11 PM

Hey guys, thanks ahead for taking the time to read this. So on to the problem... I can play a number of cutting edge games with my PC, BUT sometimes a certain game will crash the computer no matter what I do. There are a few games, like this, that cause this to happen, the latest being Crysis 2.

My specs. are quite a bit above the min. requirements on this game as well as most others. Let me get my specs up here for ya now.
I Have
Video Card: nVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.00GHz
Memory: 6GB of RAM (DDR2)
Motherboard: MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum , Chipset is nVIDIA nForce 750a SLI, AMD K10

After trying different things I came to conclude the problem was with the overheating of my of GPU card. Tests show it idle at like 69C and after about 5 min. of crysis it's up over a 100c !!! I'm attaching a word pad file that shows what I think most people helping me need to see.

What I mainly need is help getting the card cool! My drivers are up to date and things are clean. I have a little fan on the window side of the case, a larger one blowing air out the back, the power supply fan of course and the fan that is on the video card itself. (I do notice that the slots for the graphics cards are on the bottom of the case which causes the fan to face down so it's blowing almost all the air VERY close to the bottom of the case, with not much space in between... that can't be good) Unfortunately, I don't know anything about my fans or how good they are. Therefore I Don't know which ones need to be replaced or the size/kind to replace with! Is there something I can attach to the card to just cool that down alone?

Soooo basically here we are.. I need my coolant and GPU card experts for some help here:) I can take pictures with my camera if it would help? I REALLY appreciate ANY Help at all people :) You guys are the best.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST
- I attached a small file showing the temps. for everything in my cpu at an idle stage compared to while running Crysis 2 for few min. Maybe this info will help? Thanks again guys!

Colin
P.S. What the heck is the GPU Diode? It's temperature always shoots the highest. Thanks

Attached Files

Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:55 PM

What PSU do you have?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:21 PM

Ooops, forgot to include that! I don't know anything at all about PSU's so that could be causing problems for sure. Anyway, I just took off the side panel and read the label on the PSU. It looks like I have a:
Thermaltake TR2 RX-550
ATX12v 2.2
14cm Fan

Can someone tell me if this is an ok one? lol Is it on par with my other hardware?

Thanks again so much,
Colin

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:28 PM

What kind of case are you running in it, and how is your airflow setup?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:06 AM

Well on the case it say's "Sagitta Raidmax Gaming Development". On one side there is a fan and it's see through. I don't know anything about fan specs or how many mm's each one is, so I'm just telling ya what I see. There is also a giant fan aiming out the back of the case, one pretty big one on top of the CPU, the one under the GPU and the PSU one. I hope this helps, I just don't know much about the cooling supplies or how the flow is in there right now. What do you think if I got a PCI fan to add near the card, or some of these other things? Here is where I was looking for now:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=494
Whatcha think peeps? I may fall asleep soon, if s,o you know I'll be back! :P
Thanks as always
Colin

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:10 AM

Have you tried cleaning the GPU fan, it might be clogged with dust? Also your computer seems to run pretty hot when gaming.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:34 AM

Yep, all the fans are pretty clean. Do you mean that other parts besides my GPU are running hot too though?? Thanks

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:56 AM

I would the CPU is running pretty hot after you were gaming.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

Which way are the fans blowing? In an ideal environment, any fans on the front and bottom of your case should be blowing in, and any fans on the back/top should be blowing out, and side fans dependent on whats inside, for instance, like in that case your side fan is above the CPU-if you have a heatsink with a fan that blows upward, you want the side fan to blow out, if the heatsink fan blows down into the heatsink, then you want the side fan to blow down onto the video card. On another note, have you tried using a program like rivatuner to up the video cards fan manually?

picard5.jpg

#10 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

OK, here is what I have done and where I am at so far... I cleaned things inside the case the best I could, added some thermal paste to my CPU (Hopefully correctly) Oh yeah, I noticed that the back case fan was blowing out hot air AND the side fan was doing the same. Doesn't that mess up your whole filtering plan? So I turned the side fan around so it will blow cold air in now. Good idea?
Last of all, how do I tell what specs my case fans are? I can't find out the mm's, the rps, etc. etc.

Thanks for responding guys,
Colin

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:06 PM

as far as the back fan, no it needs to be an exhaust, hot air rises, and needs to leave the case. As far as the side fan, that is like I said in my previous post-dependent on the direction of the heatsink fan. I hope you cleaned the old paste off your CPU and heatsink before adding the new, to much can cause just as many problems as not enough. As far as specs, about the only way to find out CFM and all that is to look up the model number. Speed, you can usually tell by using a fan monitoring software like hwmonitor or even in the BIOS.

Edited by the_patriot11, 04 May 2011 - 09:08 PM.

picard5.jpg

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:28 AM

If your fan are generic then it would way harder to find the CFM. Here is HW Monitor to check the temperatures and here is RiveTuner to max out your GPU fan to 100% continually.

>Michael 

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:23 PM

i wouldnt start the fan at 100% unless its absolutly needed, first off GPU fans are notoriously noisy, especially at high RPMs, second youll burn through GPU fans like Crazy. Id start at about 40%, test it, then if that doesnt lower the temps to reasonable limits raise the fan by factors of 5 or 10% until you reach a fan speed that does keep the card cool enough.

picard5.jpg

#14 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:13 PM

Yeah, your right about them being noisy etc. I used to set it to 100% only when I was playing a game.

Patriot, you may have gotten me confused on what I said I did with the fans. The back one is sucking out the hot air and blowing it out so of course I didn't mess with it cause that's right. The only fan I changed was the one on the side because it was also exhausting out the inside air, but from what I hear I needed to have that one blowing in some cool air so I reversed it.

There doesn't seen to be much of a change in any temperatures though. I have had cupid on for about 2 days without playing games and everything seems ok. But I wanna play Crysis 2 ETC. and be able to use all the power my computer and GPU is cable of without having my graphics card go nuclear!

So what do you guys think? I could change my case fans to more powerful ones, but there is no model number on them or anything, so I wouldn't know what size to order :( I was also thinking about just trying a PCI duel fan and have it blow straight down on the GPU, BUT that might now help because the stupid 9800 GT comes with a metal case around the card for some DUMB reason!

This is all so frustrating.. anyone have any ideas? Thanks for helping thus far guys, I appreciate it a lot.

Colin

#15 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:33 PM

Update: I just looked up my case and found out the fans it came with are a 120mm Super Silence fan in back
80mm Blue LED fan in side panel window.

Now if I only knew about the other specs so I could make sure I'm upgrading enough. In Hardware Monitor it does show the RPMS for ONE fan but I'm not sure which one it's referring to.. probably the CPU one. I'm still thinking about a duel PCI fan too... just not really sure where to go from here. I can't afford to waste any money on things that wont even help, ya know:) ahhhhh
Thanks as always.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users