Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen of death

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shinjikun

shinjikun

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:49 PM

Hello, as my topic states, I am having the "Black screen of death" issue. I am running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit with a Nvidia Ge-Force GTX 460. I built the computer not even six months ago.
Upon startup, after the windows logo, all I am presented with is a black screen. After a minute the "logged into windows" sound will play over the speakers, but nothing else. Task manager is not accessible, but pressing enough keys will yield some error noises. With this problem I am unable to log into Normal mode, though I can log into safe mode.

I have discovered, because I can log into safe mode, that if I disable the drivers for the graphics card, that I could then log into normal mode. However, enable the drivers, accept the reboot, and viola: black screen.

I have updated the graphics drivers. Uninstalled and reinstalled with new drivers, old drivers, beta drivers, and everything in between. I believe I have ruled out drivers. I have also reset the BIOS, installed a different model Nvidia card, reset the BIOS again..and did all the same driver swapping with that card. Both cards work flawlessly in other computers. My knowledge on hardware and issues is virtually nill, but I wonder if my problem is the not-even-6-month-old mother board? (ASUS M4A79XTD EVO)

I have not tried a clean install of windows 7, though I am about to grab a spare hard drive and do just that. Also, I have read on a few other forums, of others having this same issue. Apparently, a company (forgot the name) released a download that could fix this problem, however, it did not fix my problem. I have also, based off of others' experiences, disabled the audio driver that comes with the Nvidia card.

I believe everything I have listed is all I have tried.

Thanks in advance for your time at looking over my problem. Please, take your time~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:57 AM

have you installed the chipset drivers for 64 bit win7 ?
also there is a bios update for

M4A79XTD EVO BIOS 2102
Fix the issue that system may hang during POST when using certain graphic card.

this may or may not be your issue as it sounds like you are getting past the POST.

#3 shinjikun

shinjikun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:40 PM

Hmm.. it's worth a try at the very least. I can't help but wonder though, as many people with this same problem were inflicted with it after a windows 7 update (which windows denies extensively), if any update is bad.

Also, I remembered that I did use a driver cleaner, and before all of the other attempts were tried, I also used every systems restore point available. (Thus, imo, ruling out the update issue)

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:54 PM

a clean install on a spare drive would be a good test. then you will know if it is hardware or software issue.

#5 shinjikun

shinjikun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:07 PM

Bleh, I was hoping there would be another way. Welp, I've got some finals tomorrow, so afterwards I may have time to try a clean install on a different hard drive. I'll let ya know how it goes.

#6 shinjikun

shinjikun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

Update: A clean install of windows 7 did indeed solve my problem. I have no idea how such a problem occured, but I do know that the problem is gone. Thanks alot for all the time and effort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users