Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Portable version of SAS

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:39 PM

I have a question. When you use the portable version of the SuperAntivirusSpyware (SAS) on a memory stick to scan a computer where do the quarantined items go? Do they go on the computer you are scanning, or do they stay on the portable memory stick? I ran the portable scan tonight from a memory stick, and it found a few nasties. It wanted to know if I wanted to quarantine them, I said yes. It did not specify any folder where quarantine items would be located. I guess my quesion is, if I ever needed one of these file back, where would I find them, on the memory stick, or on the scanned computer? And what would be the name of the folder they be in? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:08 AM

The Portable version does not install itself into Program Files but it does create a new folder in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SUPERAntiSpyware.com. That is a typical location for logs and quarantine sub-folders. When launching the Portable version, the main menu has a Manage Quarantine... button but I cannot confirm where if it works the same as the regular version.

According to this review, it does not.

The functionality of the application is in all regards exactly the same with the exception of the quarantine. It is possible to perform a quick or full scan of one or all drives that are connected to the local computer system. Threats that have been detected can be removed but not quarantined. The program description is in this regard confusing as appears to support the quarantine when in fact it is not.

Quarantined items are only stored in memory. No items are stored in the quarantine over sessions. Users need to keep that in mind since it makes it impossible to restore a false positive after the program has been closed.

SuperAntiSpyware Free Portable, Scan Without Installation

I'm running a test scan now.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:18 AM

Quietman7, thank you very much for the information. I ran a scan yesterday on a friend's XP computer with SAS which I had downloaded on a memory stick. It was a little confusing to me at the end of the scan. It Had found several items that I assumed that all shown items were bad. All of the items shown, did not have check marks. I assumed that all of the items shown were infected. The information said to add check marks to those items that needed removed. We added about 3 check marks besides the ones they had marked and had them, to what we thought, were being quanantined in some folder. Yes! this was very confusing when it said the items would be placed in quarattine when in fact they are not. We were looking to go to the quarantine folder and replace some of those items as the computer would no open up IE after the scan was run, and the items removed. I guess we will have to use the computers restore function to restore those items back. Thanks for coming back so quick.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:34 AM

Yes it's not a good practice to assume everything that shows in a scan for SAS (or any security scanner) is always bad. Sometimes you have to investigate to ensure its not a false detection.

#5 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:19 AM

Quietman7, it is kind of hard for most folks to determine what it good, and what isn't good whnen it comes to his kind of thing. I guess we trust the folks who write this software to make this decision for us. Maybe I should not have added the extra check marks for deletion. I will see to it that my friend restores his files by using the system restore. I guess this is our only chance to get those files back since there are no quarantine file available. Since the software said these files would be quarantined, I assumed it would be. Very confusing, indeed. Thanks again for you help.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:06 AM

Anytime you suspect a file detection may be a false positive, get a second opinion by submitting it to one of the following online services that analyzes suspicious files:In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.

You can submit the file(s) directly to SUPERAntispyware downloading and using the SUPERSampleSubmit Utility. The direct download link for this utility can also be found here.

Alternatively you can report the results at the False Positives Forum but they will probably ask you to submit a sample.

Once a file is received, a technician can examine it in more detail and provide a report letting you know the results. You should also contact and advise the program vendor that one of their files is being detected as a threat. In many cases they will work with the anti-virus techs in an attempt to resolve the detection.

Edited by quietman7, 04 May 2011 - 11:23 AM.

#7 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for the information, quietman7. I will keep this in mind the next time I scan a computer. I am thinking now I should have downloaded the regular SAS program to my friend's desktop and installed it on his computer. At least I would have had access to the quarantined files which would have alloed me access to the deleted files. The old saying, live and learn, has certainly held true here.

I don't understand why all those files they had listed as malware were not checked. There about 3 or 4 of them that the program did not have checked. Maybe I should have deleted them the way there were listed. I just assumed they were all bad so we check all the ones the program found.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:10 PM

I am thinking now I should have downloaded the regular SAS program to my friend's desktop and installed it on his computer.

That's what I usually recommend. The portable version is good for using on an infected computer which prohibits the installation of security tools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users