Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Struggles at Work

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 grg.clny

grg.clny

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

I need to vent and maybe find suggestions on how to deal with this problem at work.
I am not a computer tech, so I can only explain this in my own words.

I am going to leave out the name of the software we are using for now for privacy reasons.. We are using PCs with Microsoft.
In our office we log on to our software that connects us to a server in another state. Other people people across the country log on to
the same server, so there is a lot of traffic. We use the server to set up clients and and to put together quotes on parts.
I am sure you can already guess where this is heading. It can be really slow. You click to select something or open something and you wait. Maybe twenty seconds. When you are typing in a single field it is OK until you tab to the next field. I guess it is saving the information to the server.
There is only a small group of us in the office who use it all day long. Sometimes it does freeze up and all you can do is log out. We use another program also but we only need it for a limited number of things. While waiting to log back in, we do as much work as we can do with the other program.
I did hear one person with computer experience say it is probably too expensive to increase the bandwidth to make it work smoother.
The frustration in the department was reaching a new level when I finally got our supervisor to admit his frustration.
I try to crack a few jokes to relieve the stress. We had one day that was not too bad and then today... I have learned to click and wait.

I curious if others have had to deal with this type of problem at work. The boss wants us to complete so much work a day, but we are at the mercy of the machines. I don't know if it will ever get better.
Any similar stories, suggestions or ways to joke about the situation would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:44 PM

welcome to life, that is often the case with any company that relies on computers-to much traffic, to little bandwidth. Have had similar issues at one of my previous jobs, one learns just to deal with it and go on.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 grg.clny

grg.clny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:38 AM

I have been researching this software online. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to increase performance even slightly.
While I am running this software, I am also running Internet Explorer w/ a program to save data online and I am running something similar to Windows Outlook for company emails. I may try shutting both down to see if it does anything. I know it is not likely.

I also found this information online about adjusting the settings on the PC. It states:

"On your XP Professional machines, go to the Control Panel, Under Pick a Category choose Performance and Maintenance, then choose System, then click on the Advanced tab. Under Performance click Settings, then click the Advanced tab. There will be 2 radial buttons. Change them to Background Services, and System Cache. Click on the Visual Effects Tab. Choose Adjust for Best Performance. Reboot the computer and open a form. You will see the greatest change on the second time a form is open. If you are using XP Home, go to the Control Panel, then choose System and follow the above instructions. There is no Pick a Category in XP Home. "

I am not sure if we are running XP Pro but I will find out today. I don't want to change the settings on the company computer without talking to the boss. If this will not make any at all I don't want to even mention it. I am not a computer person and I don't want to sound like an idiot.

If someone could explain this information I found online:
"Version 5 uses much more of a computerís available resources than Version 4. For this reason it is very important use a computer with enough RAM and processing speed to handle the requirements of Version 5. We do not recommend using Version 5 with less than 128MB of RAM or 750MHz processing speed. If you are using either Terminal Services or a computer connected to your own SQL server then you will be using the processing power of the server, and the system requirements of your computer will no longer be important."

I am not sure what version we have, but I will find that out also.
Just trying to increase my computer knowledge, so I can talk intelligently about this at work.
Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users